Need help with org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending to the backend.

Håkan Jacobsson

Nov 9, 2006, 8:12:01 AM11/9/06

I扉e written a small JDBC-application.
I惴 quering a large table in a postgreSQL database (version 8.08 and I惴
using the postgresql-8.1-407.jdbc3 driver). I need to update a lot of
the rows in the table and I try to do this 'on-the-fly' - that is, I use
one statement to select the rows and while looping over the ResultSet I
use another one to update the row if needed.

The updates are executing very slowly, which is due to the fact that the
database server is slow.
I keep getting this exception:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: An I/O error occured while sending to
the backend.
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:214)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:452)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeWithFlags(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:354)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.execute(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:347)
at
se.puzzled.ip.InsertIPCountryToDatabase.updateCountryCodesInUclickUsingVector(InsertIPCountryToDatabase.java:239)
at se.puzzled.updater.CountryDriver.main(CountryDriver.java:30)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at org.postgresql.core.PGStream.ReceiveChar(PGStream.java:256)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.processResults(QueryExecutorImpl.java:1163)
at
org.postgresql.core.v3.QueryExecutorImpl.execute(QueryExecutorImpl.java:188)
... 5 more

Some updates execute correctly, but then the application crashes with
the exception.

I扉e seen other posts concerning this exception, but what I悲 like is a
way to prohibit the
exception within my Java code - haven愒 found any such solution in the
posts that I扉e read.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Dave Cramer

Nov 9, 2006, 8:44:34 AM11/9/06
The problem is that the connection is being dropped, or lost, or
broken. Is there a firewall involved ?

Dave
On 9-Nov-06, at 8:12 AM, Håkan Jacobsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I´ve written a small JDBC-application.
> I´m quering a large table in a postgreSQL database (version 8.08
> and I´m using the postgresql-8.1-407.jdbc3 driver). I need to

> I´ve seen other posts concerning this exception, but what I´d like

> is a way to prohibit the

> exception within my Java code - haven´t found any such solution in
> the posts that I´ve read.

> Any help would be very much appreciated!

> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend