Getting started with jdbc3 and eclipse

Dominik Heller

Oct 17, 2007, 9:56:58 AM10/17/07
Hi All,
I am about to get started with postgresql 8.2 and eclipse. the installation of the postgres DB was successful and now my problem is how to find the driver in eclipse. I have set the classpath correctly and I also added the library to the eclipse project (although I know the is not even neccessary).

So now by trying to establish a connection with the following code:

Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
db = DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432", "postgres", "*****");

I get this exception:

at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:545)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at com.seitenbau.test.testDB.<init>(testDB.java:12)
at com.seitenbau.test.App.main(App.java:14)

So I am using jdk 1.5_12 and the postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc3.jar

Does someone has any idea? THX in advance

-Dominik

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Guillaume Cottenceau

Oct 17, 2007, 10:06:14 AM10/17/07

http://www.google.com/search?q=jdbc+postgresql+No+suitable+driver

--
Guillaume Cottenceau, MNC Mobile News Channel SA, an Alcatel-Lucent Company
Av. de la Gare 10, 1003 Lausanne, Switzerland - direct +41 21 317 50 36

match

Michael Schmidt

Oct 17, 2007, 12:10:50 PM10/17/07
Dominik Heller wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am about to get started with postgresql 8.2 and eclipse. the installation of the postgres DB was successful and now my problem is how to find the driver in eclipse. I have set the classpath correctly and I also added the library to the eclipse project (although I know the is not even neccessary).
>
> So now by trying to establish a connection with the following code:
>
> Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
> db = DriverManager.getConnection("localhost:5432", "postgres", "*****");
>
> I get this exception:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:545)
> at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
> at com.seitenbau.test.testDB.<init>(testDB.java:12)
> at com.seitenbau.test.App.main(App.java:14)
>

> So I am using jdk 1.5_12 and the postgresql-8.2-506.jdbc3.jar
>
> Does someone has any idea? THX in advance
>
> -Dominik

The Komo project is an Eclipse application that can be used as a
foundation for a PostgreSQL interface. It uses dynamic loading of the
jdbc driver and has a connection manager class that handles the database
connection. You can download it at pgFoundry and look at the source code.

Michael Schmidt

Guy Rouillier

Oct 17, 2007, 5:18:25 PM10/17/07
Dominik Heller wrote:
> java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver

Add the PG jar file as an external JAR file to your project.

--
Guy Rouillier

http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate