bug with 8.X level 4 driver?

Damon Anderson

Dec 6, 2005, 1:40:33 AM12/6/05
Hello,

I currently have a problem with the following statement:

ppS = dd.createPPStatement();
ppS.setQueryString(
"INSERT INTO sandwich_side (name) VALUES ('pickles');" +
"INSERT INTO sandwich ( name, sideid) VALUES('club',
currval('sandwich_side_id_seq'));" +
"SELECT currval('sandwich_side_id_seq')");
Resultset rs = ppS.getPreparedStatement().executeQuery();
try {
while( rs.next()) {}
} catch { SQLException ex1) {
ex1.printStackTrace();
}

(This use to work, but updated to 8.X driver (for a unicode issue))
SQLMessage: No results were returned by the query.
Statement: Pooled statement wrapping physical statement INSERT INTO
sandwich_side (name) VALUES ('pickles');INSERT INTO sandwich ( name,
sideid) VALUES('club', currval('sandwich_side_id_seq'));SELECT
currval('sandwich_side_id_seq')
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: No results were returned by the query.
at
org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:241)

------------------

So did some searching on the forums, lists, etc.. Changed it to this:
try
{
ppS = dd.createPPStatement();
ppS.setQueryString(
"INSERT INTO sandwich_side (name) VALUES ('pickles');" +
"INSERT INTO sandwich ( name, sideid) VALUES('club',
currval('sandwich_side_id_seq'));" +
"SELECT currval('sandwich_side_id_seq')");
ppS.initStatement(); //Prepares the statement.
ppS.getPreparedStatement().execute();
if( ppS.getPreparedStatement().getMoreResults())
rs = ppS.getPreparedStatement().getResultSet();
}
catch (SQLException ex1)
{
ex1.printStackTrace();
}

//ResultSet rs = ppS.getGeneratedKeys();
try
{
while (rs.next()) <-----
{
System.err.println("getInt: " + rs.getInt(1));
}
}
catch (SQLException ex) { ex.printStackTrace(); }

So at the moment I can't get the serial id that was created for this new
insert. The old way with just executeQuery worked great (must be 7.X
driver). I tried several version of the 8.X driver, but all had the same
results.

Anyone have the same results? Doing something wrong?

Thanks much,

Damon
P.S. This is with version 8.0 postgresql server.

Dave Cramer

Dec 6, 2005, 7:55:22 AM12/6/05
Damon,

Try using batches instead. The new driver can no longer do multiple
statements that way.

Dave

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Kris Jurka

Dec 6, 2005, 10:34:06 AM12/6/05

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Damon Anderson wrote:

> So did some searching on the forums, lists, etc.. Changed it to this:
> try
> {
> ppS = dd.createPPStatement();
> ppS.setQueryString(
> "INSERT INTO sandwich_side (name) VALUES ('pickles');" +
> "INSERT INTO sandwich ( name, sideid) VALUES('club',
> currval('sandwich_side_id_seq'));" +
> "SELECT currval('sandwich_side_id_seq')");
> ppS.initStatement(); //Prepares the statement.
> ppS.getPreparedStatement().execute();
> if( ppS.getPreparedStatement().getMoreResults())
> rs = ppS.getPreparedStatement().getResultSet();

What this is going to retrieve is two update counts and two ResultSets.
This means you need to call getMoreResults twice to get to the first
ResultSet.

Kris Jurka

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Oliver Jowett

Dec 6, 2005, 6:02:42 PM12/6/05
Dave Cramer wrote:

> Try using batches instead. The new driver can no longer do multiple
> statements that way.

It can handle this sort of multiple statement just fine, actually.

However, the driver now correctly follows the JDBC spec, and you must
use getMoreResults() to skip past the update counts returned by the
INSERT to get at the actual ResultSet-returning query, then use
getResultSet().

-O

match