Out of tree build issue

pedz

Jun 12, 2011, 4:50:40 PM6/12/11
I'm building on AIX 5.3 but I'm thinking this is on most (all?) platforms.

I'm doing an out of tree build and got an error with:

/usr/local/build/postgres-9.0.4/../../src/postgresql-9.0.4/src/backend/utils/cache/relcache.c:57:30: error: catalog/schemapg.h: No such file or directory

I think the symbolic link is wrong. It is currently set to:

ls -l src/include/catalog/schemapg.h
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root system 62 Jun 12 15:14 src/include/catalog/schemapg.h -> /usr/local/build/postgres-9.0.4/src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h

and it probably should be pointing to:

/usr/local/src/postgresql-9.0.4/src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h

Tom Lane

Jun 12, 2011, 6:37:19 PM6/12/11

> /usr/local/src/postgresql-9.0.4/src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h

Well, that would depend. If you were building from a distribution
tarball (which should contain src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h) then
yeah the symlink ought to point at it --- and it does, in my testing.
But if you were building out-of-tree from a bare git pull, then
src/backend/catalog/schemapg.h would be created in the build tree,
and that's where the symlink would point.

I can imagine breaking that logic if you got sufficiently creative
about switching between in-tree and out-of-tree builds and not
reconfiguring the build tree between uses ... but all the ordinary
cases work fine as far as I can tell.

regards, tom lane

pedz

Jun 12, 2011, 7:13:15 PM6/12/11
Building from a tarball. I did:

../../src/postgresql-9.0.4/configure
make

Nothing weird. Let me know if I can help debug this.

HTH
pedz

pedz

Jun 15, 2011, 10:07:41 AM6/15/11
This appears to be an issue with GNU Make 3.82. I've opened a bug for postgres because you might want to figure out a work around. I also sent it to the make bug report.

The postgresql bug report is http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2011-06/msg00109.php