Need Help with the Layout Editing

damien clochard

Feb 9, 2012, 6:14:03 PM2/9/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

As you may have noticed the issue #01 of PostgreSQL Magazine is still a
work in progress. The initial target event was FOSDEM 2012, but we
couldn't make. New target is now PGCon 2012 in may.

This is mostly my fault as I'm trying to be the content editor and
layout editor at the same times. These two activities require a lot of
time and I'm currently unable to find this time due to various family
reasons.

In meantime, lots of people in the Postgres community keep asking when
the next issue will be released... Obviously it's nice to see such a
great expectation for this issue and I think it is quite important to
keep the rhythm and release as soon as possible.

However the problem remains unchanged : generally DBA are not Designers
and it's hard to find people in the PostgreSQL community with graphics
skills. There's a few people that come to my mind, but most of them are
already involved in others projects (new design for pg.org, etc.)

I've been discussing about that with some people lately and I may have
found some fundings to hire a professional to handle the Desktop
Publishing job. I would then focus on the content editing.

For now, that would be only for issue #01 (Spring 2012) and issue #02
(Fall 2012). By 2013, things should slow down for me and I should have
more time for pgmag. If not we'll have time to build a decent economic
model for the magazine.

Anyway if any of you know a professional graphic designer, please send
him/her the following specs :

* The demo issue is available here : http://pgmag.org/00/read
* We work with Scribus 1.4 and Gimp 2.6
* The magazine has 42 pages
* The layout design is already defined (see issue #00)
* For images, we have an almost unlimited account at fotolia.com
* The graphic designer must be fluent in English
* A few basics of how git works would be nice but not mandatory
* The job is separated in two parts :
- approx. 10 days in March for issue #01
- approx. 10 days in September for issue #02
* Each work job will be paid separately

Anyone interested by this opportunity should send an email at
con...@pgmag.org before Feb 29th

Thanks,

--
damien