Issue #01 : Prepare for the last check !

PostgreSQL Magazine

Apr 18, 2012, 11:45:49 AM4/18/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The reviewing is over and the layout design is almost done !

We should be able to publish here a "beta" version on friday.

Then you will 5 days to read it and spot the last errors that remain.

The official release date is may 1st.

Stay tuned !

--
damien clochard
PostgreSQL Magazine Editor in Chief

Gregory Youngblood

Apr 21, 2012, 5:55:28 AM4/21/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
PgNext was just canceled. Is there a way to update the Upcoming Events page?

Gregory Youngblood

Apr 21, 2012, 5:57:26 AM4/21/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Also on the upcoming events, page 4 I think, at the bottom I think it's supposed to say:
For more information on local and international PostgreSQL user conferences, check out the wiki !

Instead it starts with "or".

Gregory Youngblood

Apr 21, 2012, 1:30:26 PM4/21/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I sat down and skimmed through several more pages. Here's what I found:

Page 11:
"PGM: One word about pgFoundry, the PostgreSQL software forge.... There's been some complaints about it. We see lots of projets mo- ving to other 2code sharing plat- forms (such as github) and some community members even think pgFoundry should be closed. What's your opinion?"

- There's been some complaints - plural "some complaints" means it should be "there have been"
- "projets" instead of "projects"
- what's the 2?

Page 12 - the comic may be offensive to some, and at the very least means a NSFW classification on the magazine. If this were on the screen in the US, the person viewing it could face discipline/termination as it could be grounds for a hostile workplace suit.

Page 15

top pf page, not an error, but perhaps for better flow:

We really struggled to choose the ten most disruptive features to showcase with step-by-step examples.

"is gonna change" - technically valid word use (gonna is in the dictionary), but doesn't seem professional, suggest "is going to change"

Under "Responding to Users"

I'm torn whether "several features which users have been requesting" is correct, or if it would be better written as "several features that users have been been requesting." I'm leaning towards "that" but it's a toss-up to me.

Page 16

top of page:
sentence at top seems off. Perhaps: "SQL/MED (Management of External Data) is an extension in the SQL:2003 standard that defines how foreign-data wrappers (FDW) and datalink types allow SQL to be used to access data stored outside of the RDBMS."

I'm afraid I only got to page 17 and I have to step away. Not sure if I'll have time to continue.

Hope this helps.
Greg

Gregory Youngblood

Apr 21, 2012, 1:40:19 PM4/21/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Oops, just as I was closing (I was rapidly scrolling through pages to see how far from the end I was), I found one more

page 23: Learn more box lower right corner. The URL runs off and is: "http://..."

[Yes, I'm supposed to be doing something else right now…[ :)

Page 32:

"which we later discovered to be replaced" should be "which we later discovered was replaced"

MattK

Apr 21, 2012, 1:54:50 PM4/21/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
PgNext has been canceled :( https://www.postgresqlconference.org/