5 more wiki pages to review / the last 12 coming soon

PostgreSQL Magazine

Mar 31, 2012, 6:23:18 PM3/31/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

The 4 articles I submitted earlier are fully reviewed. Thanks to all the
reviewers !

Now here's 5 more !

* Elephants and Lions (Postgres on MAC OSX)
* PG 9.1 : introduction
* PG 9.1 : SQL/MED
* PG 9.1 : Per column collation
* PG 9.1 : Unlogged tables

Please focus on the PG 9.1 pages !

Note that the article about PG 9.1 will contain 12 pages ! So I split
the content in 12 small wiki pages. That way it should be a lot quicker
and easier to review !

Here's the current list :

http://pgmag.org/wiki/01/reviewing#waiting_for_review

Just to let you know how things go : I gathered almost all the content
needed. I'm currently working on the "Editorial", "News" and "Events"
pages. If someone want to help me with this, he/she is more than welcome !

In the forthcoming weeks, I will send another dozen small wiki pages to
review and that will be all for this issue ! I hope the reviewing will
be finished by April 15th.

Layout design will start soon and should be finished by April 22th.

Then I'll be on holiday until 29th and you will have about a week for
the "Last Check" :-)

Release is scheduled for May 2nd and this time it's reachable.

Thanks again to all the reviewers ! Keep on the good work !

--
damien clochard
PostgreSQL Magazine Executive Editor

MattK

Apr 1, 2012, 12:41:38 PM4/1/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com
Elephants and Lions is specific to Lion Server, correct?

Should there be an addition to running Postgres on OS X desktops, where a much larger audience is likely to be trying PostgreSQL on a Mac?

A lot of people seem to go to Macports first, but I find using using the installers from EBD simpler / quicker. There are still some points that could be covered: Changing autostart of the server daemon, config files, etc.

PostgreSQL Magazine

Apr 1, 2012, 2:27:35 PM4/1/12
to pg...@googlegroups.com, MattK
Le 01/04/2012 18:41, MattK a écrit :
> Elephants and Lions is specific to Lion Server, correct?

yes. I guess that if you raise the question than the article needs to be
more obvious about this fact.

> Should there be an addition to running Postgres on OS X desktops, where
> a much larger audience is likely to be trying PostgreSQL on a Mac?

Well when I started looking for an article about Postgres on OS X, I was
focused on answering the question : "Now the Apple replaced MySQL by
Postgres, how do we help this new potentiel user base."

This is why I looked for an atricle specific to OSX Server, where
PostgreSQL is already installed. In this case, I find it interesting to
show to OSX server admins how to set up pgadmin or pphpgadmin to manage
their database.

> A lot of people seem to go to Macports first, but I find using using the
> installers from EBD simpler / quicker. There are still some points that
> could be covered: Changing autostart of the server daemon, config files,
> etc.

This is interesting too but it seems like an other topic to me. Any way
we don't have space for this in the current issue. But for the next
issue, we coud do a nice follow-up titled "PostgreSQL on MaC OSX
Desktop" that would be larger than just Lion.

Are you interested in writing such an article ?

Matt Keranen

Apr 1, 2012, 4:48:44 PM4/1/12
to PostgreSQL Magazine, pg...@googlegroups.com
A server specific article does make sense, especially with the default change. I wish I had a Lion server to test with ;)

I currently develop against desktop OS X Postgres frequently (SL, Lion, and soon ML). I will compile notes for a future article.

Sent from my iPhone