Oregon's School IPM Law

Josh Vincent

Oct 15, 2012, 2:14:31 PM10/15/12
to PFPSc...@googlegroups.com
This summer, a new law came into effect which requires Oregon schools to adopt Integrated Pest Management (IPM) plans emphasizing prevention and the use of least toxic or "low-impact" pesticides. The law isn't especially strong since there's no real way to enforce compliance, but it does provide some motivation for schools to reform their pest management practices, plus it gives us a perfect opportunity to talk to them about pesticide exposure, health risks, and possible alternatives. NCAP has already worked with several districts on projects to reduce pesticide use, and we're on the lookout for partners in the Portland area with whom we can continue working into 2013.

For your use, attached is a 1 page document explaining the law, its background, and some simple ways to approach pesticide reduction at you or your child's school. Please respond to the group with any questions, or if you have info to share regarding your own efforts. Alternately, you can find our schools group on SPIN.

- NCAP

IPM Schools 1 pager.pdf