[Projects] Hoot, Data Visualizer, Task Queue

Sandeep Raju

Dec 15, 2013, 1:24:37 PM12/15/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

This thread will contain details of the project that I'd like to work on and mentor if anyone is interested. These projects are aimed to fulfil three important things,

1. Learning new technologies.
2. Building something that actually can be used in real life.
3. Learning how things work (internally) rather than learning how to work with things.

To start off with, this is what I have in mind for each project.

Hoot

This project still does not have a definitive definition. What I am trying to do is basically built an open source version of moot.it. But I also have cross thoughts on building a blogging platform instead of forum like moot which lets people create entire blogs + cms using just a couple of script / css tags in a static html file.

Pros:
   - You'll get to learn all possible hacks of ajax + js + css
   - You'll be a prod in angular.js or any client side mvp framework
   - Working experience with websockets + realtime events.
   - You'll understand how to build complex relationships using just redis

Cons:
   - Learning curve for angular is pretty high
   - Need atleast one person in the team good at UI (css) for the project to start
   - This is mostly on the application layer (no systems + algos + data structures knowledge required / used)
   - Open sourcing such an application does not make much of a sense unless someone provides this as a service.

Data Visualizer

The main aim of this project is to build a generic pluggable data visualizer like geckoboard but even more awesome and efficient.

Pros:
    - You'll get to work on the most advanced data visualization libarary available (d3)
    - You'll get to work on websockets + advanced features of html5 & css3
    - Learn how rrd works + using / implementing a simple rrd in js

Cons:
    - You'll need a lot of patience to master d3

Message / Task queue with GoLang

This is a project with high hopes (for me personally) as this is quite challenging. Basically implement something like zmq, celery, beanstalk in go.

Pros:
    - You'll be a pro in go when the is completed.
    - Understanding how distributed queues work.
    - Algorithms & data-structures will be used extensively
    - Research oriented project (in terms of architecture, implementation)
    - Might hit the HN frontpage if this comes out as expected.
    - Many companies might use this in future :)

Cons:
    - Not for the faint hearted
    - Requires a lot of researching (learning go, zmq, rabbit, celery, beanstalk)
    - takes good amount of time but its totally worth it.
    - The project might take a lot of time than expected. I am thinking 6 months with 5 seriously dedicated members to get the basic version up and running.

Let me know what you guys feel. I'm open to all sorts of suggestions & criticism! If you need more info on any projects or if you have any question reply to this thread.

PS: I might not be able to do all projects. I might pick one of two depending on the number of people interested in contributing.

Cheers!

--
Sandeep Raju

Shrikrishna Holla

Dec 15, 2013, 10:41:46 PM12/15/13
to Sandeep Raju, pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

> Message / Task queue with GoLang

Count me in for this

Pratheek M S

Dec 16, 2013, 11:20:49 AM12/16/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

Message / Task queue with GoLang

I would like to work on this.

Akshay M S

Dec 16, 2013, 12:33:51 PM12/16/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

Sandeep, count me in for MQ and Hoot

On Dec 16, 2013 9:50 PM, "Pratheek M S" <prathee...@gmail.com> wrote:

Message / Task queue with GoLang

I would like to work on this.

--

---

Deborah Digges

Dec 23, 2013, 7:33:53 AM12/23/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Would love to work on the task /message queue with GoLang

pramodh kp

Dec 24, 2013, 9:28:35 AM12/24/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Would love to work on Hoot or Task/Queue with Go. Or both if you decide to do both. :)

Regards,
Pramodh KP

Pratheek M S

Jan 20, 2014, 8:34:35 AM1/20/14
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

any updates on task queue..?

_srp

Jan 21, 2014, 7:30:38 AM1/21/14
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pratheek,

Thanks for your interest in this task queue project. I want to know how many here who are interested in this project know Go? The whole aim of these projects is to learn something out of it. So, If i know the number of people interested and their familiarity with Go then i'd be able to come up with a design document and put it on github so that people can pick up tasks and implement it as move along. Even if you are not familiar with Go, you can learn it and contribute. This will help in understanding the design & the intuition behind it. I'll put up a basic design so that people interested can suggest modifications and start coding. I'll also put a boiler plate code as soon as i find time.