[Project] A Generic Source Code Indexer

Sathyam Vellal

Dec 19, 2013, 11:52:23 AM12/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I open this thread for discussion about a project to build a source code indexer. Its not named yet! The project description will explain to you in detail what a source code indexer does. Have a look at it - https://github.com/pesos/gsci/wiki/Description. It pretty much discusses everything about what the tool primarily does. Of course, much more features can be added. You can check how the tool is going to be designed here - https://github.com/pesos/gsci/wiki/Design-Document

The benefits of this tool are plenty! It'll certainly help millions of developers when they lay their hands on new code and so your contribution can serve a huge user base.
You'll also get to learn a lot of programming languages, not in detail though, as we will need to build parsers for as many languages as possible.
The tool will primarily be built with C++ to offer better cross platform support. So its quite essential that you know it. If not, that's fine, there are some areas which are completely non-C++ (mainly the parser component).

If you are interested on contributing to this tool, please do contact me.

I'll be adding an initial codebase and a test-prototype by next week (hopefully) to kickstart development on this. We'll (We = contributors) also meetup (over IRC maybe) to discuss more about the development.

Best

Sathyam M Vellal | Computer Science | PES Institute of Technology | Bangalore, India

Suhas Sharma

Dec 19, 2013, 12:09:01 PM12/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I just wanted to say, this is so cool! Looking forward to the development.

Nice documentation as well.

--

---

Regards,
Suhas Sharma
Programmer
Currently building: http://thehorcrux.com/
Personal Blog: http://suhastech.com/

Mahesh Hegde

Dec 19, 2013, 12:14:23 PM12/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
This is simply brilliant.Great effort and worth spending time for this project please add me in for this project.

Sathyam Vellal

Dec 19, 2013, 7:29:58 PM12/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Great! :)

Sathyam M Vellal | Computer Science | PES Institute of Technology | Bangalore, India

chitra singh

Dec 20, 2013, 8:18:23 AM12/20/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I see parsers, and I see C++. :D I'd like to contribute :)

Deborah Digges

Dec 24, 2013, 2:56:14 AM12/24/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to be a part of this! It seems awesome :)

Sathyam Vellal

Dec 25, 2013, 3:12:41 AM12/25/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
We'll discuss a few things over IRC this weekend at night. Anyone not available?