[discussion] Projects for PES Open Source Community

Sathyam Vellal

Sep 19, 2013, 8:53:02 AM9/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Dear members,

After two years of PES-OS we are now planning on initiating development on projects from the PES Open Source Community. We request you to put in ideas and discuss about possible projects that can be developed by PES OpenSource to elevate our community to the next level.
Any ideas that you have?

Sathyam M Vellal | Computer Science | PES Institute of Technology | Bangalore, India

Sathyam Vellal

Sep 19, 2013, 1:08:37 PM9/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Pitching in some initial ideas about possible projects.

1. NGO Portal
2. A full fledged website for PES OpenSource.

RFC

Sathyam M Vellal | Computer Science | PES Institute of Technology | Bangalore, India

.●๋•vívểkツ

Sep 19, 2013, 2:12:28 PM9/19/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
I have one.
We can vote on whether to have it or not later.

Marks Automation System (Continuation)

It was partly carried out in PSOC-2012 (But we can start afresh, because that might be a little messed up.)

Abstract
Currently teachers manually enter marks for every subject of every student for every semester(each branch) in an excel sheet.
Also the students has to go to the teacher to see their marks. Some go in short break, some in lunch break, some after college, some after a week, some never.

What we can do?
1. Go to each department, speak to a few teachers and confirm whether this process is still existing and whether its tedious for them.
2. If most of them say Yes. Then it is a problem.

How do we solve this problem?
Create an intranet site where both student, teacher, department office staff can login.
A teacher can login and update the marks of all the students for the subjects that he/she is handling.
A student can login and see the marks of all the subjects that he/she has taken up.
The admin/department staff can login and download details as excel.

Advantages
This process will eliminate the teacher having to move to and fro department office and interacting with so many students who just want to see their marks at various times.
This process also eliminates the work to be carried out by department staff.
Also the students can check their marks with ease for T1, T2 etc.

What went wrong for completion of this?
The reason why this couldn't complete in the summer was because it was single person working (Abhinav) and it was a little too much for him to learn it entirely and implement it.

How can we do this right this time?
We create a 5 member engaged team who are really really interested.
We decide on the right technology (unlike last time where we had decided to do everything from scratch html, css, javascript (not even jquery), php) - use some framework instead.
Sit with the team and provide them focused training on the framework(one of us who has knowledge in that area), source control (git - sandeep) and decide on documentation techniques.
Sit with them when they kick start so that they get a hang and then can completely maintain this on their own.
We can also do code reviews now and then to see if they are doing it right.
(All this looks complicated, but if we split helping them amongst ourselves should be possible).

-Vivek

--

---

Sathyam Vellal

Sep 29, 2013, 7:02:49 AM9/29/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Another idea for a project - A source code indexing tool.
Let's face it, we have very less indexing tools, most of them closed and paid. And freeware tools aren't great. Only Doxygen handles indexing well but is limited to C/C++ and maybe a couple more languages. What we need is a generic indexing tool which can use separate language modules to help in indexing the source for that language! If implemented correctly, no doubt this will be used extensively by developers!

Regards

Sathyam M Vellal | Computer Science | PES Institute of Technology | Bangalore, India

Suraj Srinivas

Sep 30, 2013, 12:05:39 PM9/30/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

We thought of continuing that UGR project (the gesture watch) under PES OS. How about that?

Sathyam Vellal

Sep 30, 2013, 12:56:23 PM9/30/13
to pes-ope...@googlegroups.com

On 30 September 2013 21:35, Suraj Srinivas <surajs...@gmail.com> wrote:
We thought of continuing that UGR project (the gesture watch) under PES OS. How about that?

Definitely! Go ahead! :)