dehkhoda & moin dictionary

ab

Jul 16, 2011, 4:45:20 AM7/16/11
to Persian Computing
Hi all,
today i serached in itunes and i found dehkhoda dictionry api also moin dictionary api for iphone and ipad.i used them and they were very helpful.

Behnam Esfahbod

Jul 16, 2011, 12:23:08 PM7/16/11
to ab, Persian Computing
Thanks for sharing. Can you give us some references, as I'm curious about the licensing details?

-b

--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد
    '     Behnam Esfahbod

Saeed Darya

Jul 19, 2011, 1:13:04 AM7/19/11
to Behnam Esfahbod, ab, Persian Computing
It is sold by a developer called Farzad Rashvand. The app sells for $4.99 and it was released few days ago, July 15th. I could not find anything to indicate his connection to Dehkhoda or Moin dictionaries or the original publishers. The copyright is to MicroSynching.

More info at http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dehkhoda/id448689110?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D2

-Saeed

--
"The best way to predict the future is to create it."

Behnam Esfahbod

Jul 19, 2011, 2:05:31 AM7/19/11
to Saeed Darya, ab, Persian Computing
Thanks Saeed. So they are not APIs, they are Apps, right?

-Behnam

Shervin Afshar

Jul 19, 2011, 3:28:43 AM7/19/11
to Saeed Darya, Behnam Esfahbod, ab, Persian Computing
Well...Not impressed. Snatch a dump of Dehkhoda from somewhere. Develop an App with lousy interface and charge people $4.99 for it. And...give them even the wrong Semicolons! App Store should be notified about this obvious infringement, I believe.

Saeed Darya

Jul 19, 2011, 4:52:37 PM7/19/11
to Shervin Afshar, Persian Computing, Behnam Esfahbod, ab

Yes. It is an app. As for infringements, I am not sure if that applies. Iran is not and has never been part of any international copyright treaties. I recall numerous discussions on this subject here.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 22:13, Saeed Darya <saeed...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It is sold by a deve...

Shervin Afshar

Jul 19, 2011, 5:34:01 PM7/19/11
to Saeed Darya, Persian Computing, Behnam Esfahbod, ab
But Iran is a member of WIPO which makes it possible to pass an IP claim. Unfortunately, Apple's policy for accepting Copyright claims needs a document showing that one is the owner of rights or a legal representative. Still I think we should drop a tip.

It's not the first infringement regarding reference books in Farsi. "Loghatnameh" website (http://www.loghatnaameh.com/) is another one. Considering the bureaucratic inertia and disinterest of the original right-holders (presumably, Dehkhoda Foundation) to make the content accessible on the web, one might like to "tolerate" such websites and services as long as they are not actively charging people.

Mehrdad Senobari

Jul 21, 2011, 6:26:28 AM7/21/11
to Persian Computing
I'm curious why somebody mentions the name of a specific website.
If someone believes these websites/apps are infringers, then there's
no need to name any of them, all of them are infringers!

‌But I guess copyright protection of the 30 years pma has expired for
Moein and Dehkhoda dictionary:
http://www.persian-language.org/report-1559.html

There's a lot of criticism of Tehran University for their work on this
valuable national resource (dehkhoda). Web 3.0 is coming and they
still.... (Does anybody know what they are doing exactly right now?!
Have any of them heard anything about internet, digital media, etc.?!
Or they’re just trying to keep this resource as an internal asset
forever?)

Regards,
Mehrdad Senobari

Shervin Afshar

Jul 21, 2011, 3:15:49 PM7/21/11
to Mehrdad Senobari, Persian Computing
Mehrdad,

First off; your emphasis on finding reasons why I named a "specific" website makes me wonder. I consider this action peculiar for the type of discussion which happens on this mailing list. We don't do interrogations here; we discuss things. Having said that, I do not feel obliged at all to respond to you, but as a courtesy to others who follow the topic, I'll explain. So far I know only two cases of infringement concerning Dehkhoda, one is that "specific" website and the other is the mentioned app. I hope this is all clear and your sense of curiosity is satisfied now. Personally, I like and use that website often and as I mentioned before, in the bureaucratic mess that these reference books are stuck in, one sometimes has to make short-cuts. This is not what I do, but well...that's a different story. To put it shortly, if I knew 13 different services or products or website infringing the legal rights of these books, I'd have listed all 13 of them.

Secondly, I had a long chat with Roozbeh and he pointed me to some facts which has to be mentioned here as correction and explanation:

1. Iran is a member of WIPO, but has not signed any treaties related to Copyright of books. There were treaties signed for other subjects like industrial patterns and trade marks.
2. The previous statement renders all the books that published for the first time in Iran as Public Domain works in other countries.
3. Having said this, one can not find any legal issues with neither that app nor your "specific" website as long as the final product is not available by any means inside Iran.
4. We know that App Store is not available to users inside Iran, so there is nothing wrong with the service Apple provides by selling this App in the App Store.
5. Meanwhile, the legal notice on Apple's website (http://www.apple.com/legal/trademark/claimsofcopyright.html) generally claims that if one believes "that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes infringement on Apple’s web site", it's possible to fill a claim with their Copyright Agent. As we explained earlier according to the international and US laws, no infringement happened here. According to laws of Iran, it did. Considering the phrasing of the notice doesn't specify that the infringement should necessarily be in US jurisdiction so it can be addressed.
5.1. These are my speculations about and reading of this legal notice, which may or may not be true.
6. Apple can go on not caring about content with questionable Copyright status from, say, a country like Iran, but some websites which care about providing uninterrupted services to the users inside Iran (solely as a legal protection towards interruption because of Copyright issues, as we know that such services can be cut for myriads of other reasons not in the scope of our discussion), take preventive actions. For example Wikipedia doesn't let copyrighted materials on all of the projects be them for any country. This is being fought against very hard by some users, but it's now considered the status quo.
7. Back to the books, I didn't bring up the issues with Moein because of that fact that it's copyright status is a labyrinth; some versions of it are now in Public Domain and some other releases not. Also, even though the 6-volume version is considered Public Domain, some of the final volumes of the series have names of other people as contributors (like the final volume with list of people and places). I didn't find anything in that link which was sent about Dehkhoda. Dehkhoda remains Copyrighted by the Foundation which is a subsidiary of Tehran university.

Regards,
Shervin

gar...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2012, 1:40:43 AM4/11/12
to persian-...@googlegroups.com
i installed dehkhoda dictionary on my iphone. It did not work. The farsi alphabet does not come up. i am on version 5.1 of ios. did it work fine for you?