trying to get started

Rob Koberg

Nov 14, 2010, 11:19:47 AM11/14/10
to Persevere
Hi,

Using:
http://www.persvr.org/Page/Installation
on OS X 10.6.4

I am trying to get started using Persevere with the example wiki, but
running into problems. Here is what I have done so far (everything
downloaded:

* needed to download and install (configure, make and make install)
Node.js (v0.2.4 downloaded) (the docs probably should not assume that
is present)
* downloaded the nodules distribution (v0.2.3-1)
* downloaded Persevere (persevere2.0beta2) and the example wiki

I went into the root of the example wiki and executed the command:

$ node ../../nodules/lib/nodules.js

The first time I ran the above, it downloaded dependencies and then
each subsequent run left me at a node prompt ('node>'). OK, but ???

So, I leave that running and in another terminal window/tab, I run:

~/Documents/persevere2.0beta2$ bin/node-persvr ../workspace/persevere/
persevere-example-wiki/
../workspace/persevere/persevere-example-wiki/
bin/node-persvr: line 9: /Users/me/Documents/persevere2.0beta2/bin/
node: No such file or directory

(the node executable is present and was installed in /usr/local/bin/
along with node-repl and node-waf)

I have assumed '<directory-of-app>' is the example wiki, right?

When I run:

~/Documents/persevere2.0beta2$ bin/persvr ../workspace/persevere/
persevere-example-wiki/
Jack is starting up using Simple on port 8080
org.mozilla.javascript.EcmaError: TypeError: Cannot find function
setupMediaHandler in object [object Object]. (file:///Users/me/
Documents/workspace/persevere/persevere-example-wiki/lib/media/wiki-
html.js#9)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.constructError(ScriptRuntime.java:
3753)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.constructError(ScriptRuntime.java:
3731)
at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.typeError(ScriptRuntime.java:
3759)
at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.typeError2(ScriptRuntime.java:
3778)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.notFunctionError(ScriptRuntime.java:
3842)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.getPropFunctionAndThisHelper(ScriptRuntime.java:
2343)
at
org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.getPropFunctionAndThis(ScriptRuntime.java:
2310)
at org.mozilla.javascript.Interpreter.interpretLoop(Interpreter.java:
1515)
at script(file:///Users/me/Documents/workspace/persevere/persevere-
example-wiki/lib/media/wiki-html.js:9)
...more...
TypeError: Cannot find function setupMediaHandler in object [object
Object].

Then, I try to hit the server with a web browser using http://localhost:8080/
which redirects me to http://localhost:8080/Page/Example with the
following text result:

"Error: You must assign a getDataModel method to the pintura config
object in order to expose data"

I have been looking for a clear, from scratch, step-by-step
installation guide through the docs, google and the discussion list,
but have not found it yet. Is there a thorough, basic install guide
somewhere?

thanks,
-Rob

Dean Landolt

Nov 15, 2010, 10:04:31 AM11/15/10
to persevere...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Rob Koberg <r...@koberg.com> wrote:
Hi,

Using:
http://www.persvr.org/Page/Installation
on OS X 10.6.4

I am trying to get started using Persevere with the example wiki, but
running into problems. Here is what I have done so far (everything
downloaded:

* needed to download and install (configure, make and make install)
Node.js (v0.2.4 downloaded) (the docs probably should not assume that
is present)
* downloaded the nodules distribution (v0.2.3-1)
* downloaded Persevere (persevere2.0beta2) and the example wiki

I went into the root of the example wiki and executed the command:

$ node ../../nodules/lib/nodules.js

The first time I ran the above, it downloaded dependencies and then
each subsequent run left me at a node prompt ('node>'). OK, but ???

When you get this the wiki example should be running. Try going to http://localhost:8080 to see for yourself. The bin/node-persvr stuff below is an alternate way to kick things off.

Perhaps there could be some configuration for nodules in package.json to tell it what to spit out when started up to make this more obvious.

Rob Koberg

Nov 15, 2010, 10:45:19 AM11/15/10
On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 7:04 AM, Dean Landolt <de...@deanlandolt.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Rob Koberg <r...@koberg.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using:
>> http://www.persvr.org/Page/Installation
>> on OS X 10.6.4
>>
>> I am trying to get started using Persevere with the example wiki, but
>> running into problems. Here is what I have done so far (everything
>> downloaded:
>>
>> * needed to download and install (configure, make and make install)
>> Node.js (v0.2.4 downloaded) (the docs probably should not assume that
>> is present)
>> * downloaded the nodules distribution (v0.2.3-1)
>> * downloaded Persevere (persevere2.0beta2) and the example wiki
>>
>> I went into the root of the example wiki and executed the command:
>>
>> $ node ../../nodules/lib/nodules.js
>>
>> The first time I ran the above, it downloaded dependencies and then
>> each subsequent run left me at a node prompt ('node>'). OK, but ???
>
> When you get this the wiki example should be running. Try going to
> http://localhost:8080 to see for yourself.

OK, I see it now -- that starts the server. The install docs are
pretty confusing. I think the sentence 'You can now run the example
wiki by doing:' is what confused me most. There should probably be a
heading above the first paragraph saying something like 'The easiest
way to get started.' Add a sentence (and do what you suggest below)
saying you can now access the server at localhost:8080. Then after the
first para add another header saying something like 'Other ways to
start the server'

best,
-Rob

Dean Landolt

Nov 15, 2010, 10:47:53 AM11/15/10
to persevere...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestion...

Kris: are the docs available anywhere we could fork and modify? I know the persvr.org site is a custom persvr wiki app -- perhaps it could be sourced by a git repo though so we can do pull requests on docs.