I probably misunderstood — please clarify

Mark Friedman

Oct 5, 2012, 1:01:08 PM10/5/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I seem to recall (and, at my age, that's iffy at best) an announcement saying you were going to publish a final release before putting the code to bed and retiring.  I've been searching for it since that time (same time you announced you were retiring the product) and haven't seen an update.

Did I miss it?  Is one coming?

Thanks,
Mark

Christopher Forsythe

Oct 5, 2012, 1:06:06 PM10/5/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
That is what we said, and we haven't put a release out yet. If we don't by have a beta going by Christmas we'll retract that statement and the current release will be the final one we put out.

Chris

Chris Forsythe

Mark Friedman

Oct 6, 2012, 9:45:53 AM10/6/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Chris.  Personally, I hope you're able to post the beta.  I'd like to thank you and all of the members of the development team for providing such a useful utility for all of these years.  And at such a reasonable price, too.

Mark

Povilas Griškevičius

Oct 27, 2012, 8:21:09 AM10/27/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
From the side looks like a little "omg we need attention stunt". If it was me and i was feeling very good and generous i'd try to come up with something and then if i was able i'd share it with the world posting a goodbye letter alongside. Now it's all backwards with "if we don't have beta by Christmas we will retract"? Seriously?

P.S.

Not to sound like some douchebag i'm thankful for this software and your commitment, but there could have been a more graceful end to all this.

Chris Forsythe

Oct 27, 2012, 9:53:12 AM10/27/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Maybe next time you should just ask rather than make poor assumptions. Multiple applications include Perian, and those application developers need about six months to a year of lead time on something like this. We do not have contact with all of them, so this was the best way to let them know. The millions of people who use Perian also deserve to not be blindsided. This is better than what you suggest just for these two reasons, but we had many more when we were taking the time to make sure that we let people know in a respectful and easy to understand way.

The next time you type "Not to sound like a", realize that you are being one. My mom taught me to say nice things or just don't say them. I may not always do that, but I try. I would suggest that you adopt thus strategy instead of the current, horrible approach that you took here.

If you have any follow up questions feel free to ask, but note that you are currently moderated so we will be able to approve any further messages from you. Please do not use any other curse words. To be clear, curse words are words that would offend my 80 year old grandmother. I approved this message, but normally I would kick it back to you asking for curse word removal. Please be polite going forward, on every mailing list that you use. I would appreciate it, and I'm sure that others would as well.

Thank you for your question.

--
Chris Forsythe

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/perian-discuss/-/h8dYgnIqFWIJ.

Graham Booker

Oct 27, 2012, 9:57:20 AM10/27/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
On Oct 27, 2012, at 7:21 AM, Povilas Griškevičius wrote:

From the side looks like a little "omg we need attention stunt". If it was me and i was feeling very good and generous i'd try to come up with something and then if i was able i'd share it with the world posting a goodbye letter alongside. Now it's all backwards with "if we don't have beta by Christmas we will retract"? Seriously?

You said "If it was me and i was feeling very good and generous…," but you completely neglected the most important aspect: time.  The plain fact of the matter is none of the development team has time, and statements like the one above seriously damage any motivation we might have to squeeze in some time into our busy schedule.

P.S.

Not to sound like some douchebag i'm thankful for this software and your commitment, but there could have been a more graceful end to all this.

Sorry, but saying "not to sound like x" doesn't make you not sound like one.  In fact, it demonstrates that you knew exactly how you sound and decided to do it anyway.  As far as a graceful end, you did receive an explanation and a statement that we would try to put out another version.  That in itself is a graceful end.  A non-graceful end would be the website disappearing, the domain expiring and taken over by a spammer or porn company, the mailing list going unanswered, etc…

I want everyone on the list to take note.  The above is why none of my new projects have been open sourced.  I've been limiting them to friends and family only so that I don't have to deal with people like this.  I expect that I will continue this trend in the future, and now I feel even more vindicated in that decision.

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Mark Friedman <ma...@mark-friedman.com> wrote:
I seem to recall (and, at my age, that's iffy at best) an announcement saying you were going to publish a final release before putting the code to bed and retiring.  I've been searching for it since that time (same time you announced you were retiring the product) and haven't seen an update.

Did I miss it?  Is one coming?

Thanks,
Mark

Chris Forsythe

- Graham

Dave Rice

Jan 1, 2013, 6:53:25 PM1/1/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, October 5, 2012 1:06:10 PM UTC-4, Christopher Forsythe wrote:
That is what we said, and we haven't put a release out yet. If we don't by have a beta going by Christmas we'll retract that statement and the current release will be the final one we put out.

Hi Chris and Happy New Year,
I remembered the timeline you mentioned above. Is the Perian 1.2.3 to be considered the final official release or is there a possibility of a delayed final release? Thanks much for your work.
Dave Rice

Augie Fackler

Jan 1, 2013, 6:54:25 PM1/1/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, Alexander Strange, Graham Booker
Hm. Good point. Alexander, Graham, do either of you know if we can cut a release and close the book on this plan?

> Dave Rice

Christopher Forsythe

Jan 2, 2013, 9:38:32 AM1/2/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com

I'm no longer managing this project Dave, I only reply every now and then when there is a simple question.

Chris Forsythe

Dave Rice

Jan 31, 2013, 8:14:14 PM1/31/13

On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 6:54:25 PM UTC-5, Augie Fackler wrote:

On Jan 1, 2013, at 6:53 PM, Dave Rice <da...@dericed.com> wrote:

> On Friday, October 5, 2012 1:06:10 PM UTC-4, Christopher Forsythe wrote:
>>
>> That is what we said, and we haven't put a release out yet. If we don't by
>> have a beta going by Christmas we'll retract that statement and the current
>> release will be the final one we put out.
>

> Hi Chris and Happy New Year,
> I remembered the timeline you mentioned above. Is the Perian 1.2.3 to be
> considered the final official release or is there a possibility of a
> delayed final release? Thanks much for your work.

Hm. Good point. Alexander, Graham, do either of you know if we can cut a release and close the book on this plan?

Hi Augie, Alexander, Graham,
Is it safe to presume that no answer to this question means the Perian 1.2.3 is the final official release. I don't mean to nag but it would be good to get official confirmation.
Dave Rice

bartbrn

Feb 1, 2013, 11:49:09 AM2/1/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to see Perian go -- it provided the final key in getting DivX Plus to actually work in Lion. One thing I don't understand:

"A final word: If and when Perian stops working, try looking into VLC or MPlayer OS X. Sure, they're not Perian, but they offer great software still under development."

I've looked on SourceForge and MPlayer's own site, and here's the latest info on MPlayer OS X: "Last Update: MPlayer OS X is going to work with Apple's apparently-intentional crippling?

My theory on that -- as if anybody cared -- is that with the salvation of the company by fairly "closed system" moneymakers like the iPhone and iPad, and iOS, and Apple's LOOONG time neglect of desktop and even laptop Macs, I believe Apple eventually wants to freeze out every third-party developer it can, and FORCE people to come to the Apple App store for App needs, where they can charge their usual ridiculously insane prices (price RAM at the Apple Store, then price the same RAM  -- Samsung and Micron are Apple's main suppliers -- at any RAM store like Crucial, PNY, OWC, wherever -- the difference, size for size, the last time I looked, was at LEAST 400%).

The current situation regarding the ASDK and sandbox, as explained to me by the guys at Ambrosia, certainly indicate Apple's reluctance to let any third-party developers steal even a sliver of Apple's pie -- or FAR worse, provide something for free -- like Perian -- that Apple could have made money selling. Giving something away for free, in Apple's eyes, is nothing less than Communism in a Darwinian Capitalist world.

Apple is no longer the company Steve Jobs created, and I'd be willing to bet it only gets worse from here.

Bart Brown

Augie Fackler

Feb 1, 2013, 1:18:22 PM2/1/13

On Jan 31, 2013, at 8:14 PM, Dave Rice <da...@dericed.com> wrote:

> Hi Augie, Alexander, Graham,
> Is it safe to presume that no answer to this question means the Perian
> 1.2.3 is the final official release. I don't mean to nag but it would be
> good to get official confirmation.
> Dave Rice

I think Alexander and I have a few things we plan on rolling together into a release, when enough round tuits come together.

Christopher Forsythe

Feb 4, 2013, 8:26:00 AM2/4/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
This sort of rant always hurts my head. Let's keep this off this list please.
--
Chris Forsythe

bartbrn

Feb 5, 2013, 12:33:24 PM2/5/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
If it was MY rant to which you referring, I'm terribly sorry to have made your head hurt -- you must have an exceptionally soft head.

I've been trying to get DivX Plus to work for the better part of a year in Lion. I have NO choice but to run Lion, and, eventually, Mountain Lion, either of which OSes cripple several third-party apps. Perian v1.2.3 and v1.8 of the CoreAudio A/52 and AC-3 Codec Component were the items that finally got DivX Plus to work. I'm sure YOU don't care if DivX Plus works for me, but *I* do.

Now I find that Perian is at its final set-in-stone state -- v1.2.3 -- and will not be developed any further. So Perian will not go on into the future, but the Mac OS certainly will, obsoleting -- as it has in every new incarnation -- many things I work with, including DivX Plus, WireTap Studio, and Transcribe!. I'm wondering -- in advance, for a change -- what the evolving Mac OS's inevitable ongoing crippling is going to affect next, and what I can do to keep my apps working as they're supposed to. Since Perian, by your site statement, is no longer going to evolve, and certain of the apps I use depend on Perian, I'd like to have the necessary fix(es) at hand, as I actually DO create projects that are important to me with these apps. As a side note, Ambrosia's been working on the crippling of WireTap Studio for several months now, with no fix in sight.

I thought this was a forum for both the makers AND users of Perian. I see that's not the case, so I will not disturb your inner peace by participating further here.

Have a great life.

Bart Brown