No AC3 with Mountain Lion

Marcell

Jul 11, 2012, 8:35:19 PM7/11/12
to perian discussion
Hello,

I've just upgraded my OS X to Mountain Lion, and it looks like I've
lost the sounds (AC3 Codec) on my QT.
What's the problem?

Thanks in advance!

Rick Prescott

Jul 15, 2012, 8:26:10 AM7/15/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I haven't seen the official release as yet, didn't bother going after any pre-releases. Was expecting it to be released this week (starting today, Sunday 15th).

Will check it out though.

Matej Knopp

Jul 15, 2012, 8:35:27 AM7/15/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
AC3 is broken because core audio in mountain lion checks if reported
decoder channel layout matches the channel count. IIRC the A52 core
audio decoder reports 5.1 channel layout when downmixing 5.1 to stereo
or something like that.

-Matej

Rick Prescott

Jul 15, 2012, 9:33:48 AM7/15/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Good to know, and that told me Mountain Lion was not released as yet. So I do hope this gets corrected, at least to do an automatic detection and adjustment.

BTW - just checked App Store - no official release there, I suspect Tuesday 127th. Unless something important is found to be bad.

Prescott Perez-Fox

Jul 16, 2012, 5:29:56 PM7/16/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what Matej's technical answer means but I can confirm that Mountain Lion cannot play audio from an MKV file which uses AC3 codec, using Quicktime/Perian. It can play using FFMPEG.

My preferred playback app is Movist, which can play using FFMPEG, but not Quicktime. VLC plays it. Quicktime Player won't even open the files, so I can't determine if the audio works. (in case you're curious, I like the precise controls that Movist gives over playback speed, going in increments of 0.1x. VLC can go to 0.5x or 1.5x only, and Quicktime Player can only do 1.0x)

Looking forward to a updated version of Perian, designed for Mountain Lion.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Rick Prescott <rickp...@me.com> wrote:
> I haven't seen the official release as yet, didn't bother going after any pre-releases. Was expecting it to be released this week (starting today, Sunday 15th).
>
> Will check it out though.
>
> On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:35 PM, Marcell wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just upgraded my OS X to Mountain Lion, and it looks like I've
>> lost the sounds (AC3 Codec) on my QT.
>> What's the problem?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!

r e m y

Jul 26, 2012, 3:59:44 AM7/26/12
to perian discussion
Don't wait for an updated version of Perian.
The developpement team has decided to stop any new developpement

http://perian.org/

Chris Forsythe

Jul 26, 2012, 4:40:24 AM7/26/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I'm pretty sure that the text that I typed says that we'll be putting one more version out.

--
Chris Forsythe

Jomer

Jul 26, 2012, 12:48:02 PM7/26/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
You just need to restart your computer and you'll have sound.
Message has been deleted

Allissey

Jul 27, 2012, 11:00:39 AM7/27/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
So,

In mountain lion, AC3 is not supported by Perian.
This means that most of my .avi in my movie collection don't play sound anymore in iTunes because it uses quicktime.

Anyone any suggestions how to get the sound working again in quicktime?

To me, alternatives like VLC player are not an option. I have been quite satisfied with importing videos into iTunes using tools like videodrive e.g.

ikir

Aug 3, 2012, 4:58:26 PM8/3/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Download MPlayerX from Mac App Store, it is the best player i've ever tried on any platform. I hope anyway that Perian will see a last realse for 10.8.

MPlayerX is frequently updated, support Lion's fullscreen, automatic file load, quit on exit, subtitles, multitouch and many other things. naturally is free!

Chris Forsythe

Aug 3, 2012, 10:55:28 PM8/3/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
You didn't read the email from Allissey, you are not solving the problem presented with this email. Please go back and read the email, especially the part about alternatives like VLC not being an option. If you have any suggestions based on the presented question though, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

--
Chris Forsythe

Prescott Perez-Fox

Aug 10, 2012, 7:47:23 PM8/10/12
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Today I download MPlayerX and it plays all the troubled files that Movist can't. It's a decent player, but I wish it had a playlist as Movist does. Hopefully, the Movist guys will bring in whatever technology seems to be in MPlayerX, but until then it's a good alternative for watching without having to convert or re-encode video files.

Jared Blank

Jan 1, 2013, 9:44:18 AM1/1/13
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for this info.  Was driving me nuts to have video and no audio.  Also thanks to the Perian guys for even having this forum.  Great job Chris.