I WILL BUY PERIAN TO KEEP IT RUNNING

kurtko...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 9:30:11 PM2/13/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
[URGENT] I WILL BUY PERIAN AT A REASONABLY DISCUSSED COST TO KEEP IT RUNNING AS LONG AS I CAN!!!

Christopher Forsythe

Feb 13, 2014, 9:46:49 PM2/13/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Please explain how you will keep it running.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 8:30 PM, <kurtko...@gmail.com> wrote:
[URGENT] I WILL BUY PERIAN AT A REASONABLY DISCUSSED COST TO KEEP IT RUNNING AS LONG AS I CAN!!!

Chris Forsythe

M Shorey

Apr 8, 2014, 5:17:00 AM4/8/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Me too! I would pay for it say $30 just so I can upgrade to 10.9. Perian is the only thing that's holding me back. Upgraded to 10.9...Perian didn't work.....all my video files needed to be be reformated to work with 10.9.....Downgraded back to 10.8 End of story. These Perian folks don't know all the money they're missing!

Christopher Forsythe

Apr 8, 2014, 7:17:40 PM4/8/14
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Please do not post multiple copies of the same message to different threads. One thread is enough. Thanks

Chris Forsythe

Fahad AlAbsi

Jan 9, 2015, 3:37:04 PM1/9/15
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Your job is not done guys, we need you to come back and yes we will spend money, cause we dropped alot of money on our home theaters and now AC3 MKV files are not playing well through Mac's an upgrade for 10.9 is also Due, one more time and more reunion guys for your fans, you put it out their and we will put our money in.....

Waiting for you, so dont let us down....

Graham Booker

Jan 9, 2015, 4:34:52 PM1/9/15
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
I'll take this opportunity to consolidate my previous comments on this in one place.

Apple has changed their QuickTime architecture.
Perian doesn't work under the new architecture since they changed the plugin mechanism.
Apple has not documented how to create plugins in the new architecture
Therefore, Perian cannot be updated for the new architecture.
Perian does still work in the previous architecture, even in 10.10, which is accessible via QuickTime Player 7 and NicePlayer (I still use it from time to time).

If you really need to play AC3 MKVs in your expensive home theater system, you have three options:
Use the older players stated above and live with the import process done on MKVs.
Use VLC, Plex, XBMC, or some other non-QuickTime player.
Don't use MacOS X.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but the fact is this is our reality.  I personally don't use Macs for my media playback anymore and I recommend others don't do so either.  If you're using this on a TV, you're best off with Plex or XBMC.  I've switched to using Plex an Intel NUC running Xubuntu and haven't looked back since.  If you are interested, you can see my blog posts on the topic: http://www.cod3r.com/

Continuing to be blunt: our job is done!  There is really not much else that can be done given QuickTime's old architecture limitations and lack of documentation on the new architecture.  Essentially we can't advance in the old architecture and can't change to the new.

I hope this helps clear things up.

Christopher Forsythe

Jan 11, 2015, 6:38:11 PM1/11/15
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
In reality the whole scope of Perian was to make playback easier for people, and that's really it. And really if you stay on 10.7 or even 10.8, you won't have much of a hard time while using Perian. Around 10.9 is where it gets rougher, and really where you should consider another solution. We wanted to keep working on Perian, but for the reasons that Graham listed it became a nightmare.

So either keep using QT7 or Niceplayer, or 10.7/10.8, or switch to another solution.
--
Chris Forsythe

Kyle J. McKay

Jan 12, 2015, 6:07:43 AM1/12/15
to perian-...@googlegroups.com, Graham Booker
On Jan 9, 2015, at 13:34, Graham Booker wrote:
> Apple has changed their QuickTime architecture.
> Perian doesn't work under the new architecture since they changed
> the plugin mechanism.
> Apple has not documented how to create plugins in the new architecture
> Therefore, Perian cannot be updated for the new architecture.

Just to clarify. You are saying that since apple has essentially
deprecated QTKit in favor of AV Foundation [1] and that while it is
possible to create custom CoreAudio components (A52Codec.component is
one example), there is no public documentation for creating custom
CoreVideo components therefore anything that uses the new CoreAudio/
CoreVideo playback cannot work with Perian video codecs since they are
QTKit only.

And furthermore, even if the API for creating a custom CoreVideo
component were reverse engineered or otherwise somehow documented,
since it's not a published apple API, even a minor OS update
(potentially even just a security update) could break it. Therefore
there really is no way forward to sustainably supporting Perian video
codes via the new AV Foundation [2].

Is that a correct interpretation?

[1] <https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2300>
[2] <https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/AudioVideo/Conceptual/AVFoundationPG/Articles/00_Introduction.html

Augie Fackler

Jan 12, 2015, 9:26:52 AM1/12/15

On Jan 12, 2015, at 6:07 AM, Kyle J. McKay <mac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jan 9, 2015, at 13:34, Graham Booker wrote:
>> Apple has changed their QuickTime architecture.
>> Perian doesn't work under the new architecture since they changed the plugin mechanism.
>> Apple has not documented how to create plugins in the new architecture
>> Therefore, Perian cannot be updated for the new architecture.
>
> Just to clarify. You are saying that since apple has essentially deprecated QTKit in favor of AV Foundation [1] and that while it is possible to create custom CoreAudio components (A52Codec.component is one example), there is no public documentation for creating custom CoreVideo components therefore anything that uses the new CoreAudio/CoreVideo playback cannot work with Perian video codecs since they are QTKit only.
>
> And furthermore, even if the API for creating a custom CoreVideo component were reverse engineered or otherwise somehow documented, since it's not a published apple API, even a minor OS update (potentially even just a security update) could break it. Therefore there really is no way forward to sustainably supporting Perian video codes via the new AV Foundation [2].
>
> Is that a correct interpretation?

Basically, yeah. When AVFoundation was introduced, I believe we even had a friend at WWDC go and ask about what Perian could do to stay alive, and the answer was “well, someday we might publish a codec API, but we’re not comfortable locking in what we have now.”

It’s a bummer, but so it goes.
signature.asc

Graham Booker

Jan 13, 2015, 9:44:17 AM1/13/15
to perian-...@googlegroups.com
Resending to list since apparently if you are CCd in an email sent to a list, gmail incorrectly assumes that the reply should go to the previous author and not the list.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 5:07 AM, Kyle J. McKay <mac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just to clarify.  You are saying that since apple has essentially deprecated QTKit in favor of AV Foundation [1]
QTKit and AVFoundation are the wrong side of library.  These are the APIs for a client of the library to use it for playback.  The API of interest is the one for codecs and file format readers/writers.

and that while it is possible to create custom CoreAudio components (A52Codec.component is one example), there is no public documentation for creating custom CoreVideo components therefore anything that uses the new CoreAudio/CoreVideo playback cannot work with Perian video codecs since they are QTKit only.
Of note: All the audio codecs in Perian are CoreAudio.  I don't know if the new architecture uses CoreAudio or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

And furthermore, even if the API for creating a custom CoreVideo component were reverse engineered or otherwise somehow documented, since it's not a published apple API, even a minor OS update (potentially even just a security update) could break it.  Therefore there really is no way forward to sustainably supporting Perian video codes via the new AV Foundation [2].
You've outlined the danger of reverse engineering an API.  If Apple published it, there were be somewhere to go but until then, I'd rather stay out of the maintenance nightmare.

Is that a correct interpretation?
Except for one key piece:  The API for reading a container.  Without this, one cannot open AVI files competently nor open MKV files at all in modern QT apps.  The container reading turns out to be one of the most important pieces in what Perian does.