XtraDB cluster with TokuDB storage engine

Amit A

Oct 14, 2015, 7:43:42 AM10/14/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi folks,

We are evaluating the use of Percona XtraDB cluster for our data storage needs.  Can we use use the TokuDB storage engine as against using the XtraDB/InnoDB storage engine. If yes, is there any impact with respect to configuration (master-master) or replication or backups or are there any other issues that we should watch out for if we use TokuDB storage engine with the Percona Server in a clustered configuration?

Thanks
Amit

Vadim Tkachenko

Oct 14, 2015, 8:57:23 AM10/14/15
to percona-discussion
Amit,

TokuDB is not supported by Percona XtraDB Cluster as of this moment.
> --

Vadim Tkachenko, CTO, Percona
Phone +1-919-249-7483, Skype: vadimtk153

James Wang

Oct 14, 2015, 9:16:49 AM10/14/15
to Percona Discussion
Sir,  I read before that Percona XtraDB cluster uses Galera libraries.  Is this still the case please?  Or may be Percona are adding more and optimizing the Galera libraries as well?

Thanks a lot in advance

Amit A

Oct 15, 2015, 2:25:34 AM10/15/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi Vadim,

Thanks for the quick response.

Do you think the following manual configuration for High Availability might work:
Percona Servers using TokuDB storage engine with manual configuration of Galera for sync data replication between these nodes.

Also, are you aware of any another synchronous replication tool for TokuDB?

Thanks
Amit

James Wang

Oct 15, 2015, 4:57:42 AM10/15/15
to Percona Discussion
any particular reason why you wanna synchronous replication please?

Amit A

Oct 15, 2015, 6:09:47 AM10/15/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi James,

The application we are currently working on is read heavy.  We are looking to separate out read and write paths in our application.  We want to have a couple of nodes for writes and more than a few nodes for reads, though initially we may start with one server for writes. This is the main reason why we are looking for synchronous replication tools so writes and read replicas are always in sync, with a known impact on performance.

Thanks
amit

James Wang

Oct 15, 2015, 7:10:48 AM10/15/15
to Percona Discussion
Good to know that you were already aware of (and ready for) the performance impact of "synchronous replication" :D
So far, I have tried Galera, OrientDB and Cassantra et al.  All of them have performance impact.

Vadim Tkachenko

Oct 15, 2015, 10:25:14 PM10/15/15
to percona-discussion
James,

Right now we use mostly plain Galera libraries,
however we provide support for Percona XtraBackup SST method which
is mush less intrusive way to do a state transfer.

We plan to introduce improvements to Galera libraries in future.

Vadim Tkachenko

Oct 15, 2015, 10:29:19 PM10/15/15
to percona-discussion
Amit,

I do not think this will work, there is just no proper support in
TokuDB for this kind of setup yet.
I also do not know any synchronous replication solutions for TokuDB.

I know this is not the answer on your question, but TokuDB support
read-free replication,
which usually provides a good performance gain over InnoDB replication,
so you may see much smaller slave gap using TokuDB in the regular
replication setup.

Amit A

Oct 16, 2015, 1:08:25 AM10/16/15
to Percona Discussion
hi Vadim

I did go through RFR for TokuDB and it looks promising for a near-real-time replication strategy.

I need to run some tests to figure out what the actual impact is as compared to running synchronous replication over XtraDB storage engine using the Galera cluster.

Thanks again for the quick responses and insights!

Cheers,
amit

James Wang

Oct 16, 2015, 4:13:21 AM10/16/15
to Percona Discussion
Thanks a lot, Sir.

Alexey, Galera co-founder, advised that rsync had become the default Galera SST (though it still locks the donor)