Conceptual DB Design

George Chilumbu

Mar 5, 2018, 6:43:21 AM3/5/18
to Percona Discussion
We are a startup company, and we are trying to figure out who's responsibility it is to provide the conceptual design of the MySQL database whether its the DBA or the developers?

My take on this was the Developers understand what their applications need, and the functional requirements of the Application. So they should provide the conceptual design e.g., what tables would be needed for their Application. So once they provide the conceptual ideas, the DBA can then create the the tables and other things like indexes and stuff.

What do you guys think on this matter?

matthe...@percona.com

Mar 5, 2018, 11:43:14 AM3/5/18
to Percona Discussion
Hey George,
Yes, developers know the application so they should be able to develop an initial schema. However, it is the DBA's job to know some parts of a schema can be inefficient and to suggest alternatives. For example, if a developer has a query that looks like "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username = 'foo' and email = 'b...@bob.com', the DBA should know that a composite index on (username, email) is better than two individual indexes.

It is ALWAYS important that developers check their queries using "EXPLAIN..."

George Chilumbu

Mar 5, 2018, 8:22:51 PM3/5/18
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
Indeed, thats what i though should be the case as well.

Thanks Mathew.

Purpose is the key to success. You can easily be successful in the wrong things.