TokuMX and Percona server for MongoDB

Ankur Chauhan

Oct 1, 2015, 10:43:03 AM10/1/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi,

I recently saw a press release for percona server for mongodb and was interested to know about the release timeline for a final release.
Also some more questions:
* I would like to know how does the migration from and existing TokuMX cluster look like?
* The current documentation does not currently list differences (if any) from the vanilla mongodb or TokuMX. I know that atleast in TokuMX, the oplog format and the replication / election protocol is different and hence not compatible.

Could someone comment on these?

-- Ankur Chauhan

Peter Zaitsev

Oct 1, 2015, 3:42:47 PM10/1/15
to percona-discussion
Hi Ankur,

We're working on the migration path from TokuMX cluster and documentation will be available along the way.

The documentation here:

Hopefully clarifies second part of your question.  Percona Server for MongoDB  is based on MongoDB codebase with  PerconaFT (new name for Fractal Trees storage engine) is available in addition to the stock MongoDB engines.
It uses standard MongoDB 3.0 oplog format etc.

Peter Zaitsev, CEO, Percona
Tel: +1 888 401 3401 ext 7360   Skype:  peter_zaitsev

mlpa...@googlemail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 11:18:22 AM10/5/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi Peter,

there were various improvements in TokuMX, like no max chunksize for migration or much better oplog performance than mongodb.
It sounds like that they are no longer available in "Percona Server for MongoDB" since it only adds the storage engine while leaving anything else untouched?

Is there maybe a compersation table of TokuMX and "Percona Server for MongoDB"? Since we used few of the "patched in" TokuMX Features, it would be easier to know if it's an option to migrate to "Percona Server for MongoDB" or stay at TokuMX.
For example the "no max chunksize" thing is an absolut must have for us, which is still an issue in official MongoDB 3.x

thx,
Michael

Peter Zaitsev

Oct 5, 2015, 1:17:45 PM10/5/15
to percona-discussion
Hi Michael,

We are going to review features in the TokuMX and  port them as feasible to Percona Server for MongoDB

I understand what you (and many others) are asking - for product  which has  full compatibility with TokuMX as well as full features of MongoDB 3.0

Unfortunately it was not feasible to immediately achieve this.  MongoDB  3.0  has a lot of code change from MongoDB 2.4, the version on which TokuMX was based on,  and merging TokuMX with MongoDB 3.0 would require several man years of work.   We have chose instead to release Percona Server for MongoDB with full  MongoDB compatibility and added support for storage engines to give access to modern MongoDB functionality and franctal trees storage engine at the same time while we  work on porting TokuMX features which are still important.

Vadim Tkachenko

Oct 5, 2015, 2:32:16 PM10/5/15
to percona-discussion
Michael,

Can you please describe what issue you have without "no max chunksize"?
It will help me to set a proper priority for this feature.

Thanks,
Vadim
> --

Vadim Tkachenko, CTO, Percona
Phone +1-919-249-7483, Skype: vadimtk153

mlpa...@googlemail.com

Oct 5, 2015, 4:18:39 PM10/5/15
to Percona Discussion
Hi Vadmin,

thx for quick response.

mongodb has (still) a known MaxObjectPerChunk limit of 250.000 or MaxChunkSize 64MB (whatever comes first), which results in an unresolvable problem if we want to migrate chunks bigger that size to a new node.

Since we store billions of tiny documents we ran into that issue real quick.

In TokuMX that issue has been removed in version 1.0 2013:

Works perfectly without any problems so far.

thx
Michael

Bryan O'Neal

Oct 5, 2015, 4:42:42 PM10/5/15
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
The above is a minor issue for some of my systems as well.
However as we look forward to vanilla Mongo3.0 I am more interested in seeing the differences between PerconaFT and WiredTiger if you have something avaiable

mlpa...@googlemail.com

Nov 8, 2015, 12:10:56 PM11/8/15
to Percona Discussion
Regarding this manual athe the moment the only way to migrate from TokuMX to Percona Server for MongoDB is to do a full database dump:

Is there any other way planned? TokuMX was developed for bigdata, and there is definitly no way that we dump 300TB and reimport them.

It also looks like that TokuMX is no longer developed (bugfixes), since it's recommended everywhere to upgrade to Percona Server for MongoDB?

Best,
Michael