XTRADB Security

Matt Riddell

May 20, 2017, 1:09:32 PM5/20/17
to Percona Discussion
Hi all,

I'm setting up an XtraDB cluster and everything works fine, but what stops someone from just saying they are a node and receiving all the data?

I have added 2 nodes and an arbitrator but don't think I had to do anything in terms of auth for the arbitrator

If I add another cluster node there doesn't seem to be any type of authentication

Is it done by the list of IPs on the other nodes?

Or is it something to do with wsrep_sst_auth?

I thought that wsrep_sst_auth was just for connecting to the local machine though?

Or are we supposed to secure it via iptables or something and there is no authentication?

Kenn Takara

May 21, 2017, 12:08:08 AM5/21/17
to percona-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

By default, there is nothing to stop another node from joining the cluster.
- The cluster address is just a starting point, a node uses the list to locate a cluster.

PXC does not authenticate (we do not verify the identity of the node), but authorization to access/join the cluster is provided through possession of the necessary keys/certs/secrets.

Authorization is provided through use of secure channels (see https://www.percona.com/doc/percona-xtradb-cluster/LATEST/howtos/encrypt-traffic.html).

For example, if SSL encryption of SST traffic is enabled ("encrypt=2" or "encrypt=4"), then the certs are verified against the CA file on the server.  In this case, the possession of the correct cert is what authorizes the node to join the cluster.

Note: In general, the recommended setup is to use the same certs/keys/CA files across the cluster.

Kenn Takara
Software Engineer, Percona
Honolulu, HI, USA (GMT -10:00)

David Bennett

May 22, 2017, 6:34:02 PM5/22/17
to Percona Discussion
Hi Matt,

In addition to Kenn's comments:

The [mysqld] wsrep_provider_options concerning cert/key setup can be passed to garbd via the -o  command line parameter.  Alternatively,  the cert/key options can be specified as GALERA_OPTIONS in the /etc/default/garbd file (Debian/Ubuntu) or /etc/sysconfig/garb (RHEL/Centos) configuration file.

--Dave