Starting background jetty/grails app using .bat file does not work

Mark Cattenstart

May 13, 2016, 5:17:43 AM5/13/16
to Pentaho Community
Dear Pentaho community,

Currently I am working on a project to automate regression testing on a tool. The tool uses Groovy/Grails with Jetty as the webserver. I need to start the tool twice, once the production version and once the development version. My project should detect any difference between the two versions.

Starting either version works as following in a .bat file (yes, it is a Windows environment):
cd "C:\Qosqo\QuipuServer\3.1\QuipuServer" & javaw -jar C:\Qosqo\QuipuServer\3.1\QuipuServer\start.jar -Djetty.port=7890 -DQUIPU_CONFIG=C:\Projecten\mosquito\work\quipu-config-ref.properties -Xms512m -Xmx512m

The bat file changes to the directory to the installation path and start the jar file with some parameters.

Executing the bat file all works perfectly. The webserver is started.

My Kettle transformation (also in attachment) uses a data grid with the command to start the bat file in background. This seems to work, however not what I require. It waits for the bat file to finish, which it will never since it is starting a web server...

I want the Kettle transformation to start the bat file and return back to continue the following steps.

I've tried about every possible format I can think of using cmd /c, cmd /c start /B, powershell with start and start-job. Nothing seems to be able to go back to the transformation.

I've also posted this message on the Pentaho forums, but there seem to be noone who can help me. Can you help me?

Kind regards,

Mark
exec_process.ktr

leo adityo

May 16, 2016, 4:53:26 AM5/16/16
to Pentaho Community
helo mark,
sory my english writing, are u can install pentaho ce ?, just practical in i did, i'm try, instal with windows pentaho ce 6, cann't instal with biserver-ce/start-pentaho.bat, so i try and then i think about ur problem is u can try run in folder tomcat/bin/ startup.bat, tq

Mark Cattenstart

May 17, 2016, 2:15:24 AM5/17/16
to Pentaho Community
Hi Leo,

Thank you for your consideration. I use the community edition of Pentaho. I found a way to execute the job in background. I used Cygwin and made a few bat files that together would call cygwin with cygstart.exe which starts the job in the background. This seems to work. so I am set for the moment.

Kind regards,

Mark