autostart Pentaho server 8.0 first time without need for pressing ENTER

Sten Madsen

Apr 12, 2018, 2:13:59 PM4/12/18
to Pentaho Community
I have not been able to find an answer to the following problem.

Is it possible to start Pentaho server 8.0 CE without the need to PRESS ENTER at first start?

I install an Ubuntu 16.04 server using vagrant. However Pentaho is not starting automatically. I have to login to the Ubuntu server and manually run the script /etc/init.d/pentaho start. The script shows this message and waits for me to press enter

The Pentaho BI Platform now contains a version checker that will notify you
when newer versions of the software are available. The version checker is enabled by default.
For information on what the version checker does, why it is beneficial, and how it works see:
http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/ServerDoc2x/Version+Checker
Press Enter to continue, or type cancel or Ctrl-C to prevent the server from starting.
You will only be prompted once with this question.

After pressing enter, I can shut down and restart the Ubuntu server and Pentaho is now starting automatically during boot.

I have tried to disable / delete the version checker as described in http://wiki.pentaho.com/display/ServerDoc2x/Version+Checker. But an ENTER response is still needed to start Pentaho the first time.

Diethard Steiner

Apr 12, 2018, 3:27:44 PM4/12/18
to pentaho-...@googlegroups.com
The start-pentaho.sh script just calls the promptuser.sh script to initiate this user prompt. You can easily adjust the shell file to not do this call.

Diethard Steiner
Bissol Consulting Ltd

Sten Madsen

Apr 13, 2018, 4:59:53 PM4/13/18