jed down

Jed Michnowicz

Jul 25, 2016, 12:41:20 AM7/25/16
to pen...@googlegroups.com
<tl;dr>Went down Friday.  Hope to be back in a week or so.</tl;dr>

I went down Friday morning.  I was on pace for commuting to work all 5 days with 200 miles by the end of the weekend.  The gods had other plans for me.

After dropping my car off at the auto-shop, I hopped on my bike and headed to work.  I biked one block and started my left turn onto Old County in San Carlos.  What I though was water, ended up being a 10-foot pool of oil.  In an instant I was down.

My left side hit the pavement hard at ~17 mph.  I went down so fast I could not even get an arm out.  Probably a good thing cause as I do not want to break another scaphoid bone.  I picked myself up off the ground and hobbled to the sidewalk.  In the end:
-  Head:  Slapped against the ground and cracked my helmet.  Minor concussion symptoms but head seems OK.  Very glad I had a POC helmet which goes WAY down my brow.  Would have been worse with other helmets.
- Hip: One of the major contact points with the ground.  Ended up with a cantaloupe sized hematoma which might take about a year to diffuse.  Very colorful.  Like an eggplant.
- Ribs:  It only hurts when I breathe.
- Shoes: Buckle ripped off.  Time for new shoes.
- Bike: Of course I was riding my 1-month old bike.  The rear skewer and front shifter are scuffed, but overall the bike looks good.
- Skin: FTW!  I lost very little skin.  I guess sliding out in oil helped reduce the friction.

In short, this freaked me out given the head slap.  If you ever end up at urgent care for a crash, always answer "YES" when asking about head trauma and you will go to the front of the list.

I hope to be back on the bike in a week or so once basic functions like sneezing and pooping do not hurt.

Stay safe out there.  Pictures here:
https://www.strava.com/activities/649578809

~jed

Hani Juha

Jul 25, 2016, 12:45:15 AM7/25/16
to Jed Michnowicz, pen...@googlegroups.com
That really sucks but glad you are on the mend.
--
http://www.pen2sf.com | http://app.strava.com/clubs/pen2sf
---

Michael Knighten

Jul 25, 2016, 12:53:55 AM7/25/16
to Hani Juha, Jed Michnowicz, pen...@googlegroups.com
Damn! Pretty sure I know which intersection you mean - why was there a pool of oil do you know? Glad you're not overly damaged

Jed Michnowicz

Jul 25, 2016, 1:02:51 AM7/25/16
to Michael Knighten, Hani Juha, pen...@googlegroups.com
Not sure why oil was there.  Maybe related to the transit village?  As I was collecting myself, I saw many cars/motos skid so I called it into police dispatch and they sanded the area.

Lukasz Pason

Jul 25, 2016, 1:39:51 AM7/25/16
to Jed Michnowicz, Michael Knighten, Hani Juha, pen...@googlegroups.com
Heal fast, glad you're O.K. And I'm sorry about your gear. Good thing it's all replaceable.

Sent from my iPhone

Kevin Moran

Jul 25, 2016, 4:43:29 AM7/25/16
to Lukasz Pason, Jed Michnowicz, Michael Knighten, Hani Juha, pen...@googlegroups.com
That really sucks Jed.  Here's to a quick recovery.

Michael McCabe

Jul 26, 2016, 1:22:18 AM7/26/16
to pen2sf, lukasz...@gmail.com, j...@michnowicz.org, mkni...@gmail.com, hani...@gmail.com
Heal quick Jed!