Fwd: [SVBC SMC Committee] Online Survey Now Open: Bicycle Access on State Route 35 Freeway Interchange

Jed Michnowicz

Jun 8, 2017, 3:56:47 PM6/8/17
to pen...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emma Shlaes <em...@bikesiliconvalley.org>
Date: Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 12:50 PM
Subject: [SVBC SMC Committee] Online Survey Now Open: Bicycle Access on State Route 35 Freeway Interchange
To: SVBC Committee Peninsula <svbc...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: SVBC North SMC list <nort...@bikesiliconvalley.org>, SVBC general <svbc...@bikesiliconvalley.org>, bikesmc <bik...@googlegroups.com>

FYI the online survey for Highway 35 at Highway 1 is now open, please share broadly:

Caltrans District 4 is seeking input from those who bicycle or are interested in bicycling on the freeway segment of State Route (SR) 35, Skyline Boulevard, across the Highway 1 interchange, or along the SR 35 corridor using local streets between Daly City and Pacifica. Please take a moment to fill out this online survey and share the link with others who may be interested. This targeted survey will help inform Caltrans in developing both short and long term strategies for people bicycling along this corridor. The survey will be available until June 25, 2017.

https://goo.gl/forms/zmUejriBGtBLYJzq1

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 1:31 PM, Emma Shlaes <em...@bikesiliconvalley.org> wrote:
Hi all,

Here's the most recent news on this interchange: https://bikesiliconvalley.org/2017/06/update-highway-35-highway-1/

Thanks for everyone's work on this so far.

Emma

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM, Emma Shlaes <em...@bikesiliconvalley.org> wrote:
One more thing: SVBC will be contacting Caltrans HQ regarding the larger issue, which is the lack of process for prohibiting bicycling from previously accessible roads by Caltrans or providing a noticing period.

And most importantly, please submit comments regarding this interchange, the lack of this process, and other Caltrans' roads bike access issues here:

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 10:06 AM, Emma Shlaes <em...@bikesiliconvalley.org> wrote:
Hi everyone,

I know this has caused a flurry of emotions and concerns over the past 24 hours. I just talked to Sergio Ruiz, the Caltrans District 4 bike/ped coordinator. He said comments to him ARE HELPFUL and if you have additional comments or haven't yet emailed him, please do: sergi...@dot.ca.gov

Please be respectful. Sergio did not make this decision but was asked to publicize it. He is meeting with the people who did make this decision, the District's Office of Traffic Safety right now (10 am Tuesday morning) to share the concerns and feedbacks that he has gotten from all of you. He will be recommending that they come up with interim treatments at the interchange to accommodate bicyclists instead of the prohibition.

A little more background: this decision was the result of a collision a couple years ago resulting in a fatality and an investigation that followed. There is pending litigation involved in this collision, so Sergio was unable to share additional details. The pace of this decision and implementation has been rushed due to the litigation and pending liability. Sergio's recommendations would address this liability as well.

Thanks to everyone who has already contacted Sergio. He will keep everyone posted following the meeting this morning.

Emma

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:58 AM, Matthew Self <mat...@mself.com> wrote:
Yes, this is part of the SF2G "Skyway" route.  http://sf2g.com/skyline.html

If you forward this to some folks in the SF2G group, I bet you'll get a ton of pushback.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:48 AM, David Cohrs <dave...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've only ridden here a couple times, but I think it may be one of the SF2G alternatives.

The alternative routes proposed don't actually connect, so that confused me. But also, if you look at the alternatives like Gateway Drive, you see the reason they are less popular: much more climbing, and the bicycle friendly sections end abruptly.

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:42 AM, Matthew Self <mat...@mself.com> wrote:
The Strava heat map shows pretty heavy biking on that segment.  It looks like more traffic currently uses that segment of Hwy 35 than uses the alternate route on Gateway Drive that they are proposing.

Inline image 1

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:21 AM, Emma Shlaes <em...@bikesiliconvalley.org> wrote:
Is this on anyone's regular route?