Chamberlain Family

zetland

Mar 13, 2009, 1:19:33 AM3/13/09
to Peerage News
Several members of the Chamberlain families contrbuted greatly to
England. I would like to know the descent on the male line of (1)
Joseph Chamberlain (d. 1914) and His 2nd son, Neville (d.1940) or
where I can locate the information.

I would also like the same information about Ramsay Macdonald.

marquess

Mar 13, 2009, 3:13:07 AM3/13/09
to Peerage News
Yeah always wondered they never entered the peerage? Though I do
recall in Professor David Canadine's book "The Rise and Fall of the
Aristocracy" that Austine refused a peerage due to the cheapened
nature of such a thing in Lloyd George's notrious period.

Michael Rhodes

Mar 13, 2009, 7:30:29 AM3/13/09
to Peerage News
The Chamberlains are BLG. The hapless Prime Minister's grandson,
(Neville George) Francis
Chamberlain married Mary O'Donovan, dau of the Irish chieftain, The
O'Donovan and Madam
O'Donovan, and they had a son, William Vere Joseph, b 21 April, 2000,
at Winchester.

==

rick.l...@virgin.net

Mar 13, 2009, 4:57:12 PM3/13/09
to Peerage News
marquess wrote:

> Professor David Canadine's book "The Rise and Fall of the Aristocracy" that Austine refused a peerage due to the cheapened nature of such a thing in Lloyd >George's notrious period.

Austen Chamberlain was a K.G. and an M.P. when he died. Why should he
have beeen offered a peerage? Neville Chamberlain however was offered
both the Garter and a peerage by George VI, he declined saying that,
'he preferred to remain plain Mr Chamberlain'.

Richard L

marquess

Mar 13, 2009, 7:57:59 PM3/13/09
to Peerage News
Sorry I meant Nevile, though I am sure that there were many men who
never even came close to being K.G's that were made peers, therefore
it could be argued that Austine would have met all the criteria needed
to be a peer.

Richard R

Mar 15, 2009, 11:39:07 AM3/15/09
to Peerage News
Good luck with Ramsay MacDonald's ancestry. Here's what is said of it
in his entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography:
'...was born on 12 October 1866 in a ‘but-and-ben’ cottage in
Lossiemouth, a small fishing port on the coast of Moray in north-east
Scotland. He was the illegitimate son of Anne Ramsay, a Lossiemouth
farm servant, and John MacDonald, a highlander from the Black Isle of
Ross, who worked as a ploughman on the same farm. For most of his life
he was known as James Ramsay MacDonald, but his birth certificate
described him as ‘James MacDonald Ramsay, child of Anne Ramsay’.
> > Richard L- Hide quoted text -

Richard R

Aug 31, 2014, 4:23:44 AM8/31/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com, Peerag...@googlegroups.com
An update on Michael's posting: The Chamberlains are BLG. The hapless Prime Minister's grandson, (Neville George) Francis Chamberlain married Mary O'Donovan, dau of the Irish chieftain, The O'Donovan and Madam
O'Donovan, and they had a son, William Vere Joseph, b 21 April, 2000, at Winchester.

The couple had two more children: an elder son Robert Daniel Neville b 1998 reg Q3 Winchester, and a dau Anne Cornelia M b 2002 reg Q2 Winchester.

Shinjinee

Sep 9, 2014, 12:40:54 PM9/9/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com, Peerag...@googlegroups.com
There was a nice website on the Chamberlain family with their Kenrick connections.  Google search would help.

Shinjinee

Shinjinee

Sep 10, 2014, 2:03:15 AM9/10/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com, Peerag...@googlegroups.com
This website is the one I was thinking about.

Descendants of Archibald Kenrick (Nov 1760 - 26 Oct 1835)

Also Chamberlain Family Papers guide

Shinjinee

Shinjinee

Sep 10, 2014, 2:21:39 AM9/10/14
to peerag...@googlegroups.com, Peerag...@googlegroups.com
Among Kenrick, if not Chamberlain, descendants are the Debenham baronets, and the spouse of one of the Debenham descendants - one Sir Christopher Geidt, Private Secretary to HM The Queen.

via the Chamberlains - the grandson of Beatrice Chamberlain (1912-1999) is the actor Rupam Maxwell (b 1972), listed as Noa Maxwell.  His mother Nicolette Sinclair-Louttit has interesting maternity, discussed earlier on this group.
Another descendant Richard Chamberlain married Catherine Laura Chetwynd-Talbot, IIRC a daughter of the previous Earl of Shrewsbury and sister of the current Earl. (That is how I found this website in the first place.  Chamberlain sounded like Austen or Neville, and Chetwynd-Talbot is an unusual surname so....)  His brother married the former/first wife of Rupam Maxwell's father, i.e. his cousin's ex-wife.  I've seen stranger marriages.

Another descendant is the British Ambassador to Romania, Martin Harris OBE, as one correspondent John McIntosh pointed out.  And of course, the late Countess of Longford (whose mother was Katherine Chamberlain 1874-1960), via whom her many descendants still living.  And her niece Harriet Harman MP, a former Minister.

Shinjinee