caulk for plexiglass window

Guy Johnson

Apr 27, 2012, 2:04:17 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

Isn't there a caulk that you're not supposed to use on plexiglass.
Is polysulfide lifecaulk ok to use on plexiglass?

Guy

Lance Davis

Apr 27, 2012, 2:14:02 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I believe polysulfide and polyurethane are big no-nos on plexi (and lexan, too?). They'll eat it.

This is one place where silicone can be used - though I try to keep silicone more than 100' from boats at all times - I did use it to seal solar vents onto hatches and it's still leak free 5 years later.

I do believe there's a window glazing (by Dow?) that I've heard of as being a good solution.

Lance

Jeff Griglack

Apr 27, 2012, 2:20:57 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com

According to this article ( http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/sealant.asp), it issue not.

Guy Johnson

Apr 27, 2012, 3:11:07 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, the article recommends silicone or a silicone polyurethane blend.

Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 14:20:57 -0400
Subject: Re: [pearson ] caulk for plexiglass window
From: grig...@gmail.com
To: pearso...@googlegroups.com

Lance Davis

Apr 27, 2012, 3:30:19 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
I just clicked around a little and found that glaze. If you don't want to use sillycone (and who'd blame you) it looks like lots of folks suggest Dow Corning 795 as a (possibly better) alternative. I have no personal experience w/ the stuff.

Lance

Guy Johnson

Apr 27, 2012, 3:48:32 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/default.aspx?R=264EN
Dow Corning® 795 Silicone Building Sealant is a one-part, cold-applied, non-sagging silicone material that cures to a medium modulus silicone rubber upon exposure to atmospheric moisture.

From: lance...@base36.com
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:30:19 -0400

JR Maxwell

Apr 27, 2012, 3:52:36 PM4/27/12
to pearso...@googlegroups.com
BoatLife Life Seal is a silicone/polyurethane blend.  I've had good luck with it.

Bob
Shenanigan P-30 #940

http://boatlife.com/life-seal.html