PDX.rb Discord Server

MrGibson

Feb 21, 2018, 3:50:30 PM2/21/18
to pdxruby
Dear PDX.rb:

I wanted to suggest that someone create a Discord Server for PDX.rb and then publish a non-expiring invitation URL to the group. I can't always make meetings, but I love talking Ruby with others and sharing tips and techniques.

Your thoughts?

G.

John Wilger

Feb 21, 2018, 5:08:47 PM2/21/18
to MrGibson, pdxruby
Well, I suppose there is nothing stopping you from doing so... If sufficient people are interested, they'll join and it will survive. (Personally, I find the mailing list and Slack to be sufficient; I'm not sure what the benefit would be to adding Discord to the mix. But don't let my curmudgeonly opinion stop you! :-D)

aaron

Feb 21, 2018, 7:12:35 PM2/21/18
to pdxruby
I would join if one existed - though I think Slack technically meets the needs of the group, the 10,000-message limit does get to be quite annoying. I would be willing to create and maintain a server if the group wishes.

My only concern is that having too many options might discourage member collaboration.

-Aaron

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:50 PM, MrGibson <mister...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear PDX.rb:

I wanted to suggest that someone create a Discord Server for PDX.rb and then publish a non-expiring invitation URL to the group. I can't always make meetings, but I love talking Ruby with others and sharing tips and techniques.

Your thoughts?

G.

MrGibson

Feb 21, 2018, 8:33:02 PM2/21/18
to pdxruby

Hey All:

Ok, I went ahead and created a Discord Server with this non-expiring URL to JOIN:

https://discord.gg/6nJ2upk

Please update the pdxruby.org site to list this URL, and let people know the server exists.

If there are any issues, post an email and I can issue a provisional URL to get you in.

Why Discord? Voice, Video, and text chat - all on a robust client that runs on darn near anything.

See you there.

G.