PDX.rb Meetup Announcement

Tim Loudon

Mar 12, 2018, 7:05:11 PM3/12/18
to pdxruby
Hello All,

First of all, I would like to thank Zach Kemp and Lee Baillie for some fantastic presentations last week.  If you’re not familiar with Enumerable#lazy, yielders, and/or want a stealth neovim lesson (terminal buffers FTW); be sure to check out Zach’s video which should be up on pdxrb.org soonish.  Lee did a phenomenal, illustrated tour of Rust Lang from a Rubyist perspective—well worth your time to check it out.  There are like a 100 hours of work on the illustrations; it's great.  And super thanks to Tilde for hooking us up!

I'd also like to thank Tim Wade for recording and editing the videos!

And thanks to the NR crew (Brent, Lauren) for hosting, setting up, and cleaning up!

Wow!  So I’m pretty stoked about our April 3rd meetup.  We’re putting together a panel of senior devs/managers with the theme of salary/rates/talkpay/transparency.

There’s a bit of a two pronged attack here:

1) This should be a great way for juniors and mids to understand rough salary bands, skill requirements, etc.  So just really useful/pragmatic info for less established devs.  You can think of this as something like Patrick McKenzie's salary negotiation primer.

2) This also helps address the gender/diversity pay gap.  There’s a lot to unpack on this topic, so I’m just going to recommend:
I think the TL;DR here is that transparency encourages a more equitable workplace.

Our panel will feature:
  • Davy Stevenson (Fastly)
  • Brent Miller (New Relic)
  • Lauren Voswinkel (New Relic)
  • and me, Tim Loudon (I run a small consulting agency)

I’d like to get some questions prepared for the panel ahead of time.  Please email me anything you’d like to hear the panel discuss.

NB: panel will start shortly after 6:30.

Thanks!
tim