Opportunities to help the ruby community

Chuck Vose

Apr 8, 2015, 1:16:43 PM4/8/15
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Dearest friends of Ruby,

tl;dr - Want to help out? Click this link: http://eepurl.com/bjiCOb

Last night at pdx.rb I sent around a community service sign-up sheet. For me, each time a find a way to serve the community I feel happier, and more like I belong to something greater than myself. I wanted to spread that feeling, and so I've made a list to distribute the bounty of opportunities that are available for the taking.

When you sign up for this list, you'll get one email per month with a summary of opportunities I've heard about. You can email me if you have ideas or need help on something and it'll go out in the next email.

You can sign up here and you'll receive a happy email from me very shortly. http://eepurl.com/bjiCOb

Thank you so much for being such an amazing community. I cannot express how wonderful pdx.rb has been for me over the years, and watching it grow from 20 people to 105 has been just breathtaking. I hope that this will allow you to see the wonder that I see!

Most sincerely,
Chuck Lauer Vose
@vosechu

Sylwia M. Bialczak

Apr 9, 2015, 12:54:01 PM4/9/15
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Chuck, can you explain in one sentence, like you did on the meet-up, what each of the options entails:

1. PDX.rb opportunities
2. Other tech opportunities
3. Other non-tech opportunities

David Molina

Apr 9, 2015, 4:10:16 PM4/9/15
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Chuck,
Done. Also, remember the commitment I made at RailsConf 2013 to learn ruby and teach others? Next Thursday, Operation Code Launch Party at Epicodus to get more veterans learning ruby/code and building cool things. All rubyists invited. Hugs, David Molina (@davidcmolina)

Chuck Vose

Apr 9, 2015, 5:36:12 PM4/9/15
to Sylwia M. Bialczak, pdx...@googlegroups.com
Of course Silwia!

Pdx.rb opportunities are things like helping setup/teardown, helping Joey with recordings, speaking, facilitating the event, or even other things.

Other tech opportunities include things like osbridge, and other events, hackathons, and tech related things but not necessarily specifically ruby or related to pdx.rb.

Other non-tech opportunities includes things like incident response, code of conduct committee duties, or helping with something else that supports the tech community, but may not involve code.

I hope that helps!