Meetup Tuesday 5/2: Dana Scheider on open source, plus Game of Life

Sam Livingston-Gray

Apr 30, 2017, 3:12:04 PM4/30/17
to Portland Ruby Brigade
Hey, it’s meeting time again. How did that happen? This month, Dana Scheider will help you figure out how to get started doing open source work, and Lauren Voswinkel will guide us through another Game of Life code retreat (so bring your laptop).

Dana Scheider: A Beginner's Guide to Open Source

Dana joined the Cucumber core team last year (yay Cucumber!), and wants to share some of what she's learned as an OSS maintainer. This talk is aimed at people who are hoping to get their toes wet in OSS, but are not sure how to get started.

Lauren Voswinkel: Conway's Game of Life Code Retreat

We'll take 30-45 minutes to work on Conway's Game of Life. Pair programming is highly encouraged, but is not required. We'll take some time to talk about what we learned during the exercise, as well as what approaches worked and what didn't. The whole idea of this exercise is to have a space and time to actively practice coding. Please bring your laptop!

Pizza and beer starting at 6, presentations start at 7, at New Relic on the 27th floor of Big Pink. Details here:  http://calagator.org/events/1250471852

See you there!