REMINDER: Meetup This Tuesday March 6 6pm at New Relic downtown 27th floor

Tim Loudon

Mar 1, 2018, 2:32:19 PM3/1/18
to pdxruby
NB: Presentations start at 6:30

GET READY FOLKS!

Here's a little teaser for Lee's Ruby+Rust presentation:

Programming is an adventure, often more harrowing than it has to be. If you're more used to higher-level languages like Ruby or JavaScript, learning a lower-level language like Rust can feel like an impossible journey that leaves you wishing for a well-written and heavily illustrated field guide. Good news! I have already gone down this road and am now prepared to share my adventure with you. Luckily, I was able to capture much of the flora and fauna of Rustlandia with my primitive pictorial devices (paper and pen).

And a little background on Lee:

Lee Baillie herds Rubies and wrangles JavaScripts (occasionally tending to some Rust) at Tilde here in Portland, OR, mainly in the context of building Skylight, a Rails performance profiler. In their spare time, they enjoy hanging out with their dog JPEG, exploring the beautiful outdoors of the PNW, and lifting heavy things only to put them down again.

Hope to see you on Tuesday!

Tim Loudon

Mar 5, 2018, 12:10:29 PM3/5/18
to pdxruby
PDXRB MEETUP IS TOMORROW!

"And what about our other presentation?!", you ask with bated breath.  Well...

Zach prefers to keep an air of mystery about this presentation, a certain je ne sais quoi, if you will.  So we're just gonna highlight that it's gonna be teh awesome!1!11!!, and should be super helpful as you go about solving problems with enumerators.

Really, this will be great.  I <3 #map.  How much?  Well, in my very scientific study*, I found that I use #map and #each combined about 50 times per project.  A project I consulted on a few years ago, really likes #map and #each, like 3X MOAR!  So, check out your own codebases and the winner gets to wear the enumerators benevolent dictator crown and a Miller High Life b/c benevolent dictators should drink the finest champagne of beer in life.  ("Winner" here means most instances of #each + #map regardless of SLOC)

And here's some background info on Zach:

I'm the latest engineer to join the team at Tilde. When not coding I can probably be found feeding hummingbirds or building credenzas.

RECAP: Tilde is taking over PDXrb.  So this meetup will be #1 high quality and #2 one that you should attend :D

TL;DR

#!/usr/bin/env ruby

tortured_ruby = "this meetup is going to be teh awesome#{1.upto(42).map{ rand(42) % 13 == 0 ? "1" : "!" }.join}"
puts tortured_ruby

Cheers!
tim

grep -rE '(each|map)' app/{models,controllers,workers} | wc -l # IDK I just don’t feel right counting enumerators in views  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tim Loudon

Mar 5, 2018, 1:19:35 PM3/5/18
to pdxruby
Folks we have a strong challenger early on w/ 958!

Also, wrt TDD is dead, long live TDD???, you can include spec || test and also lib if that's how you roll.