Ruby for Good

Sean Marcia

Feb 8, 2017, 11:28:19 PM2/8/17
to pdxruby
Hello Rubyists,

Do you like Ruby? Do you like doing good? Do you like hanging out with awesome people?

If you answered yes we'd love for you to join us at Ruby for Good (rubyforgood.org), a 4-day, all-inclusive annual event in the Washington DC-metro area on May 18-21 2016.

What is it?

We are going to be lending our software skills for "good" projects - places that need help but don't necessarily have the resources to pay for people with our skill set. Some of the organizations we'll be helping this year include the Portland Diaper Bank, Elizabeth House (a food bank), For Kids VA (an amazing non-profit whose mission is to break the cycle of homelessness and poverty for families and children) and many other amazing organizations.

Is it all work?

No way! The evenings are filled with fun, games, karaoke, and socializing. We'll definitely have a game (or two) of Artemis going, board games, computer games, Werewolf and much general nerdery.

What does all-inclusive mean?

It means you just need to bring yourself and any personal items you may need. We'll supply the beds, blankets, bedding and all the food and drinks. We realize that if you're coming from San Francisco you may need extra time to get a better deal on your flights, so if you'd like to come a day early or stay a day late, let us know and we'll reserve some space for you! If you decide you want to come even earlier or leave later than a day, perhaps to spend some time in the nation's capital, just let us know and we'll try and find a local to host you!

Where is it?

We're SUPER excited to announce it is going to be held at the Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation! This is a closed research center near Front Royal, Virginia where the Smithsonian National Zoo conducts research and breeding programs. What this means: outside our workspace there are red pandas, cheetahs, clouded leopards, bison, wolves and so many other amazing animals. Making the world better with Ruby in the presence of red pandas? AWESOME!

Register here or head to rubyforgood.org for more information :)

Happiness,

Sean

PS- We have a slack channel and we don't bite! Grab an invite here.