Meetup tomorrow: Tim Wade on unit testing, plus Game of Life

Bryan Stearns

Apr 3, 2017, 7:36:29 PM4/3/17
to pdxruby
Hey, it’s meeting time again. This month, Tim Wade will talk about what we talk about when we talk about unit testing, and Lauren Voswinkel will guide us through another Game of Life code retreat (so bring your laptop).

Tim Wade: What we talk about when we talk about unit testing

If you're new to coding you may find TDD one of the harder things to learn when all you want to do is get your hands dirty and write some code. As you grow this may be further compounded by the fact that no one seems to agree on (or even know) what unit testing is. Like me, you might read up on it, but find it hard to apply the principles you learned in your favorite web framework, which seems to have some ideas of its own. In this talk, I’ll compare some common points of view on what we might mean by unit and integration testing, and why we might want to embrace these differences to keep a flexible approach to what we're testing.

Lauren Voswinkel: Conway's Game of Life Code Retreat.

We'll take 30-45 minutes to work on Conway's Game of Life. Pair programming is highly encouraged, but is not required. We'll take some time to talk about what we learned during the exercise, as well as what approaches worked and what didn't. The whole idea of this exercise is to have a space and time to actively practice coding. Please bring your laptop!

Pizza and beer starting at 6, presentations start at 7, at New Relic on the 27th floor of Big Pink. Details here: http://calagator.org/events/1250471731

See you there!
…Bryan

Bob Lehman

May 7, 2017, 2:29:53 PM5/7/17
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know why ruboto.org is off line? Also it looks like a new
version of Andriod was released April 4th that seems to break ruboto in
general. Setup does not work, if you do all that by hand the generate
does not work.

If anyone has any information or ideas on how to make ruboto work with
the latest andriod release please drop a note.

Thanks
--Bob