Kongregate is looking for another Ruby person

Ben Munat

Jun 9, 2016, 1:22:31 PM6/9/16
to pdxruby
Hi pdx.rb. I'm the "guy in the back of the room" that Terian mentioned
at the beginning of her talk the other day. I work with Terian at
Kongregate, and I'm writing to let you know that we are officially
looking for another Rails dev. (I'm not the hiring guy; I'm just a
programmer here. But I thought I'd give this job posting more of a human
face.)

Kongregate started out as a Flash game portal about 10 years ago (I
think the early code was pre-Rails-1) , but has since expanded into
mobile publishing. We were acquired by GameStop in 2010, but have kept
our company culture (casual, friendly, fun) intact. We have very high
traffic and have to keep that in mind when making changes. I've been
here for over 8 years (I was employee # 11) and have no intention of
ever leaving. It's a cool, comfortable place to work.

The job is primarily Ruby, HTML and Javascript (jQuery, but there is a
lot of legacy Prototype code we have to live with). We have a few Ember
apps and some ActionScript code. We don't get to do much greenfield
work, so if you can't stand working around 10 years of messy legacy,
this probably isn't for you. We try to avoid silos, practice
code-review-to-merge, and pair often, but not exclusively.

Here's the Craigslist ad:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/sof/5627268246.html

You should apply through there (as it says, with "Software Engineer" in
the subject line), but if you want to ask me questions, that's fine. Our
Portland office is on the colorful corner next to the Greyhound.

Ben