Experiences with uploading photos from camera from mobile devices

William Hertling

Sep 17, 2015, 8:20:36 PM9/17/15
to pdxruby
I have several old Android devices laying around, and I'd like to turn them into surveillance cameras: one to watch the front door, the backdoor, and the carport. There are a few different Android apps (Evercam.io for starts) that will let you use them as IP cameras, and access through their services. But I was wondering if it would be possible to have a pure web application: in the ideal, open a rails app in the mobile browser, give it permission once to access the camera, and then let it snap photos and upload them on a periodic basis.

A bit of googling around seems to turn up a lot of jquery plugins that depend on Flash, and the one pure HTML mobile solutions I found (for iOS) relies on an browser popup to grant permission on a per-photo basis.

Has anyone tried to do anything similar, and can you recommend a path?