Meetup tomorrow: Live pair programming demo!

Sam Livingston-Gray

Jun 5, 2017, 2:51:15 PM6/5/17
to Portland Ruby Brigade
Hi, all!

The "anarchist ghost pirate ship" that is PDX.rb leadership has been a little more ghostly than usual recently, so we don't have a formal presentation for you this month.

Instead, Lauren Voswinkel and I will throw a terminal session on the big screen and make fools of ourselves!  We'll be giving a live pair programming demo on... uh... something!  We haven't even decided what yet!  It will in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY be a train wreck!

Seriously, though, Lauren and I used to work together, and we have a lot of fun pairing together.  Like I said, we haven't picked a project yet, but if you're new to any of the following, I guarantee you'll learn something:
- Ruby
- TDD/BDD/TATFT
- refactoring
- pair programming
- vim

And, if you're not new to *any* of those, you're encouraged to shout questions or suggestions at us!

Be there or be a parallelogram with ninety-degree angles!  New Relic, 27th floor, doors at 6pm, pizza sometime shortly thereafter, chaos at 7pm.

PLEASE NOTE: plastic sheets will *not* be provided to those sitting in the front rows.

Jesse Cooke

Jun 5, 2017, 4:12:00 PM6/5/17
to Sam Livingston-Gray, Portland Ruby Brigade
I wasn't planning on going, but now... ;)

mar...@reality.com

Jun 6, 2017, 12:19:37 PM6/6/17
On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, Sam Livingston-Gray wrote:

> Instead, Lauren Voswinkel and I will throw a terminal session on the big
> screen and make fools of ourselves! We'll be giving a live pair
> programming demo on... uh... something! We haven't even decided what yet!

If you're looking for ideas:

* Write a "smart remark" generator for a Siri-like enigine. If the
real engine fails it passes the query to your code and you have to
pattern match on it to come up with something funny to say in
reponse.
* Write a "warmer-colder" front end for a navigation system
(https://xkcd.com/407/).
* Pre-write a dirt-simple app and then take bug reports & feature
requests from the audience. (Don't worry about intentionally
making bugs from them to find. Software _always_ has bugs).
* Write a spell-borker that takes a tweet and confefes the dalups
out of it.

Good luck & have fun, whatever you decide to do. :)

> Be there or be a parallelogram with ninety-degree angles!

I notice there's a bug in this joke; can anyone spot (and write a
test case) that captures it?

-- M

--
Send from PINE (GUI? Phooey!)

Jason Dinsmore

Jun 6, 2017, 12:33:05 PM6/6/17
to mar...@reality.com, Sam Livingston-Gray, Portland Ruby Brigade
At the risk of being obtuse, a parallelogram can’t be square unless all four sides have the same length.

I think this test should cover it:

describe '#parallelogram' do
let(:object) { create(:square_parallelogram) }

context 'when being a square' do
it 'has sides of equal length' do
expect(object.side_lengths.uniq.size).to equal(1)
end

it 'has angles of equal measure' do
angles = object.angle_measures

expect(angles.uniq.size).to equal(1)
expect(angles.uniq.first).to equal(90)
end
end
end

:)

mar...@reality.com

Jun 6, 2017, 12:54:14 PM6/6/17
to Jason Dinsmore, Sam Livingston-Gray, Portland Ruby Brigade

Bingo.

Sam Livingston-Gray

Jun 6, 2017, 12:56:31 PM6/6/17
to Jason Dinsmore, Markus Roberts, Portland Ruby Brigade
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Jason Dinsmore <din...@gmail.com> wrote:
At the risk of being obtuse, a parallelogram can’t be square unless all four sides have the same length.

I see what you did there.  Bravo!

Sam Livingston-Gray

Jun 7, 2017, 3:39:26 PM6/7/17
to Portland Ruby Brigade
Here's the code that Lauren and I were pairing on yesterday:  https://github.com/geeksam/fluent-refactoring

The 'start-here' branch is where we started.  If you'd like to see the solution I described in my talk from a few years back, it's in the 'lsrc' branch (so named because I first gave the talk at Lone Star RubyConf).  And if for some reason you want the flaily, unfinished code that Lauren and I committed yesterday, that's in 'pdxruby-june-2017'.

I did record my screen and my audio yesterday, but Lauren's audio is barely audible, and audience interaction is basically not there (except for Brent, who was sitting close enough to my external mic that it picked him up).  I don't think the video is worth uploading to our YouTube channel, but if anyone feels like trying to clean up the audio levels, let me know and I can get you a file to play with.

Thanks to everyone who showed up and asked questions—we had a lot of fun!
-Sam