Spindle sander

Matt Harrington

Dec 2, 2017, 10:44:09 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know how to change the spindle on the spindle sander?  I can’t figure out how to lock it in place to remove the bolt on top.

Kenny

Dec 2, 2017, 11:13:25 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com, Matt Harrington
Hi Matt,

The Delta Boss 31-780 manual is pretty easy to find online. Apparently there is an Allen head on the bottom of the shaft if it comes down to that, but it is covered by a plastic cap held by a machine screw. Ideally, holding the sanding spindle with a glove while removing the retaining lug (left hand thread) will be enough for average operation.

--
Kenny
-----

Matt Harrington

Dec 2, 2017, 11:22:34 PM12/2/17
to Kenny, pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I bet it is the left hand thread that got me. They sure went through a lot of effort to hide the spindle lock. Thanks Kenny.

Michael Mulich

Dec 2, 2017, 11:36:59 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
You just need to hold it tightly. There is no lock on this model.

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017, 19:44 Matt Harrington <quer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone know how to change the spindle on the spindle sander?  I can’t figure out how to lock it in place to remove the bolt on top.

Jon Hannis

Dec 2, 2017, 11:40:46 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the delayed post, Michael... Some filters require manual approval before they show up.

This should be on the other thread, but I was out this week and haven't checked on the planar status. Do I need to do anything to get it back up?

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 8:12 PM, Michael Mulich <michael...@gmail.com> wrote:
You just need to hold it tightly. There is no lock on this model.
On Sat, Dec 2, 2017, 19:44 Matt Harrington <quer...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does anyone know how to change the spindle on the spindle sander?  I can’t figure out how to lock it in place to remove the bolt on top.

Matt Harrington

Matt Harrington

Dec 2, 2017, 11:50:29 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
FFS. This belt is a lot thicker and still appears slightly short. Leaving it on the planar with the other bad belts.

Matt Harrington

Dec 2, 2017, 11:54:55 PM12/2/17
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Re sander, the rubber cylinder that holds the paper was just sliding on the spindle. I don’t have the strength to compress three inches of rubber so I used a long driver on the cooling fins which worked. I didn’t have to provide any torque on the fins at all and would not have used this method otherwise.

Jon Hannis