Source Code Repo

Cory Potter

Mar 14, 2015, 3:44:19 PM3/14/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

I'm new here.

I have many years of programmer experience in various programming languages, and one thing I never was very good at was backing-up my source code and/or code management.  The last few years most of my programming has been in Arduino C and I find it extremely useful to backup my source code.  I have been using Atlassian's SourceTree because it's easy and free.

So the question I have is, what is your preferred method of backing-up your source code?

Thanks and I look forwarding to meeting you,
Cory

Lokkju Brennr

Mar 14, 2015, 3:46:39 PM3/14/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
github for public projects, bitbucket for private projects, and gitlab if you want to self-host.

Kris Bahnsen

Mar 15, 2015, 12:30:00 AM3/15/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I use github for public projects, and have a git with gitosis set up (now out of date and superseded by another project I've been told) for my private/small project stuff.  I can easily allow other people access with gitosis thats still pretty secure.  Its on a machine with ZFS that does all sorts of backups and such.

Nick Alexeev

Mar 15, 2015, 12:34:43 PM3/15/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
SVN repository externally hosted.  Tortoise SVN client.  This is probably quite an old-fashioned approach by now.  But it works fine for me.

- Nick

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 16, 2015, 2:50:47 PM3/16/15
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 12:38 PM, Cory Potter <bitsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have
> been using Atlassian's SourceTree because it's easy and free.

That uses git, right? Or does it obscure the underlying source-control
program from you?

A colleague at work recommended SourceTree to me when I had tried to
rebase a git repo and got into a bunch of headaches a few weeks ago.
Mainly though I just use the command-line git commands, and use the
git-gui (that comes with the Windows install) for looking at the
branch history.

Cory P.

Mar 16, 2015, 4:05:41 PM3/16/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
SourceTree is git based. Simple, easy, effective, and free. Uses bitbucket. I have a hard time making good use of my repo cuz I rarely branch when trying something new. Still very helpful for logging commits.

Nathan McCorkle

Mar 18, 2015, 3:32:27 PM3/18/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
I found this to be really helpful:
http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Cory P. <bitsa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> SourceTree is git based. Simple, easy, effective, and free. Uses bitbucket. I have a hard time making good use of my repo cuz I rarely branch when trying something new. Still very helpful for logging commits.
>
> --

-Nathan

bitsandbots

Mar 18, 2015, 6:14:41 PM3/18/15
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the link.  That is some large font ;-)