Planer is working again

Michael Mulich

Jan 7, 2018, 10:20:52 PM1/7/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

Good news! The planer is back in working order. A new belt and knives
have been installed.

I can confirm the planer is making some nice shavings and the end result
does appear to be beautifully flat.

(I'll note the date that the knives and belt were changed in the new
equipment repo (http://kik.to/kF) asap.)

The old knives are currently in my possession. I'll be attempting to
build a jig to sharpen these so that we have knives to swap in for the
future.

As a side note, I'm pretty glad this is fixed. Some of my boards are
pretty cupped. Also, I'll be putting together a planer sled
(http://kik.to/pV). Just thought I'd share that so others know it's in
the works. :)

-Michael

Matt Harrington

Jan 7, 2018, 10:29:16 PM1/7/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I found some casters in the fasteners drawer. Was thinking about building a cart so I don’t have to lift the thing. How are you thinking of attaching the sled? Do you just want to put it on a base for your sled and my tabletop?

Michael Mulich

Jan 7, 2018, 10:48:28 PM1/7/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, lifting that thing is a real PITA.

The planer sled doesn't actually attach to the machine. Essentially, it's just a long flat frame. Have a look at this usage video for details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrUcHUqTSyM And a construction video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNg9BV4IF2Q

If there is a way to hang the sled under or alongside the table, that might be good. But it might be too big for that. I'm not sure yet.

I'll be attending the Maker Hangout Night! (https://www.meetup.com/CTRL-H/events/246167844/) around 7'ish if folks would like to talk wood shop. :)

-Michael

Matt Harrington

Jan 7, 2018, 10:53:59 PM1/7/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Yea that would be cool.  I could use to learn some tips and tricks on this to be more efficient.

Matt Harrington

Jan 8, 2018, 2:14:54 PM1/8/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Power strip working again. To reduce cable mess, there is actually a strip mounted behind the back board. That one had tripped making it look like a strip had failed.

Matt Harrington

Jan 9, 2018, 2:06:29 PM1/9/18
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Good job fixing the planet. Seems to work!