Defcon/Blackhat Suggestions

Dalin McClellan

Jul 23, 2016, 4:39:29 PM7/23/16
to PDX Hackerspace
Thanks to some help from awesome people in the community it looks like I'm going to be able to attend my first hacker summer camp this year! I'll be arriving in Vegas on the 2nd and leaving on Monday the 8th. Now all I need to figure out is where I'm staying. The host hotels are full/out of my range, so I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for places that are convenient and affordable for the cons, or is looking for a roommate to split the costs of a room.

I'd also appreciate any advice anyone has for a first timer. I've read all the basics (Don't trust the wifi, don't even LOOK at the ATMs, think carefully about what tech you carry around, etc) but any suggestions on things you MUST see or do are always appreciated.

Thanks!

Kris Bahnsen

Jul 23, 2016, 4:56:17 PM7/23/16
to pdxhack...@googlegroups.com
Your first year will be overwhelming.  There is a lot to do and see.  I would recommend against seeing talks at the con, unless you REALLY want to.  The lines get long for the popular ones, and videos of them are posted later online anyway.  Look at the villages, contests, other events going on and have at; thats the best way to meet new people and learn new things.  The DEF CON secure wifi is actually pretty good, but I wouldn't really mess with it unless you really need to get online for something.  I would recommend against cellular, as phony sites have popped up every year.

I'm usually in the HHV and wearing a green dragon knit cap to stand out, <shameless plug>so come on by, say hi, take a stab at the RE challenge and the BYOB (Brain) contest</shameless plug>.