Tuesday meeting - Ricochet Robot! Do AI In C

Daniel Johnson

May 8, 2015, 1:54:36 PM5/8/15
to pdx...@googlegroups.com
Ricochet Robot! Do AI In C

Alex Randolph's wonderful game Ricochet Robot (Rasende Roboter)
depends on a player's ability to quickly find a path through a large
maze. In this talk, I describe the game, and then describe my solution
to the game (the first solution I am aware of): a table that allows
instant lookup of the solution to any given game position. The table
is almost 1 TB uncompressed, and required around 30 CPU-days to
generate.

This application is a good demonstration of why and how much AI is
still done in C. I will show some techniques for clean yet highly
efficient coding, demonstrate some infrastructure building and use,
and discuss tradeoffs between memory use, speed optimization and
easily verifiable correctness.

________________________________

Bart Massey is a 15th year Assoc. Prof. of Computer Science at
Portland State University. Bart has a CS PhD from University of
Oregon's Computational Intelligence Research Lab. He has been
programming in C for more than 30 years, and is a regular contributor
to the open source community.

Talk begins at 7pm, get there early for social time, doors at 6.

The meeting host for May is Crowd Compass The leading mobile app
provider for conferences and meetings. Thanks Crowd Compass.

308 SW Second Ave., Suite 200, Portland, OR
Portland, OR 97204

Enter through doors on SW 2nd Ave