June meeting next Wednesday

Dave Revell

Jun 20, 2012, 10:45:26 PM6/20/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
We'll be meeting at the usual place at the usual time next Wednesday: at the Urban Airship office at NW 11th and Flanders, from 7PM-8PM.

This meeting features two short presentations: (descriptions copied from Todd Johnson's earlier email):

1. William Taylor will start out by reviewing news items related to data science and big data. This will be similar to the March meeting, when David Price did something similar, and we had a lively discussion of ethical and technical issues. This was a lot of fun, so we're excited to try it again.

2. Robert Brehm will present a bibliography of recent journal papers of particular interest to the group.

Looking forward to seeing everyone there.

-Dave

Dave Revell

Jun 20, 2012, 10:47:56 PM6/20/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
And by next Wednesday I mean June 27th.

William R. Taylor

Jun 27, 2012, 3:05:03 PM6/27/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Hello we're looking forward to catching up with some of you this evening and continuing the discussion around Big Data / Data Science.

Since the group is still relatively new we all spent some time last meeting sharing our understandings of, definitions around, and interests in the topic(s).

We thought we'd try the idea of starting the meeting off with a similar low key self-organized discussion.

Maybe to some degree what's new in the field is that human + machine learning components are acting as a distributed system architect serving a more transparent "data products" market.

Given that simple (and not startling) hypothesis and as a means of seeding the discussion I've pulled recent news samples from various levels of abstraction in that value creation and consumption process.

Certainly please bring articles or ideas to share or if you are just interested in listening that's excellent as well.

We'll see you this eve, Bill

Algorithms - Data/Computer Scientists

May 30, 2012 - MIT's 'Big Data' Proposal Wins National Competition to Be Newest Intel Science and Technology Center

Platform - Analysts/CXO's
June 6, 2012 - The brains behind Hive launch on-demand Hadoop service
http://gigaom.com/cloud/exclusive-the-brains-behind-hive-launch-on-demand-hadoop-service
Notes: Facebook Data Team members create Qubole, Hive/Hadoop as optimized cloud service.

Product - Consumers
Jun 26, 2012 - On Orbitz, Mac Users Steered to Pricier Hotels
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577488822667325882.html
Notes: Machine learning model/parameters as front page news. Apple vs. Mac becomes an actionable parameter and demographic.

Personal - Individuals/Researchers
May 21, 2012 - Troves of Personal Data, Forbidden to Researchers
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/science/big-data-troves-stay-forbidden-to-social-scientists.html
Notes: Academic-industry and public-private interfaces evolving. Social scientists argue for release of private data for research.

Mobile - Everyone/Everywhere
June 13, 2012 - Why Big Data Should Be A Boon For Mobile Marketers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericsavitz/2012/06/13/why-big-data-should-be-a-boon-for-mobile-marketers
Notes: Adding "behavioral-fencing" to "geo-fencing" as a strategy to add value to mobile consumer experience.

-------

Other resources around how others are defining Big Data / Data Science.

History
A Very Short History of Data Science
http://whatsthebigdata.com/2012/04/26/a-very-short-history-of-data-science

Education