June meeting

Todd Johnson

Jun 8, 2012, 2:55:22 PM6/8/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
At the May meeting, we planned for two new members to speak in June --

  William Taylor will start out by reviewing news items related to data science and big data. This will be similar to the March meeting, when David Price did something similar, and we had a lively discussion of ethical and technical issues. This was a lot of fun, so we're excited to try it again.

  Robert Brehm will present a bibliography of recent journal papers of particular interest to the group.

We were also hoping to have Edward give the presentation he had planned for May. Unfortunately, it seems like there may be a conflict -- the UA schedule currently has our meeting set for June 27th, which is during Open Source Bridge. It looks like the 20th is free here, if there is a consensus that the meeting should be moved. Please chime in with which, if either, of those dates are of interest to you.

If anyone else would like to give a brief presentation on their work, or on a tool or research of interest, please get in contact with me. One more presentation would really round out this month without moving it, and we could learn about Edward's tools in the future.

Additionally, I wanted to highlight again the Portland JUG meeting on June 19th. Ted Dunning is giving a talk titled, "Real-time applications have long been considered off-limits for Hadoop clusters." Dunning is a significant member of the Mahout project, and his work should be very much of interest to members of this group. Thanks to Robert for bringing this to the group's attention.

todd.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jun 8, 2012, 4:17:07 PM6/8/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
The 20th is OK with me ... I'd rather not have a conflict with Open
Source Bridge. I may still be able to attend on the 27th - Open Source
Bridge is close enough to walk or take the streetcar. It depends on
what's going on at OS Bridge that night.
--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.

Kevin Turner

Jun 8, 2012, 5:13:30 PM6/8/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome to host a BoF at Open Source Bridge on the evening of the
27th. BoFs are free to attend for people without full conference
tickets, but we will ask BoF attendees to pre-register so we know what
to expect.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jun 8, 2012, 5:17:50 PM6/8/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
That's a thought - move the "Big Data" meeting to a BoF session at OS Bridge?

Temese Szalai

Jun 17, 2012, 8:30:29 PM6/17/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
Was there a decision reached about whether to a.) keep the meeting on June 27th per regularly scheduled programming or b.) move the meeting to this Wednesday June 20th?

(I didn't notice a meeting notice on calagator for either date .... )

Best,
Temese

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Jun 17, 2012, 10:21:05 PM6/17/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Temese Szalai <temese...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Was there a decision reached about whether to a.) keep the meeting on June
> 27th per regularly scheduled programming or b.) move the meeting to this
> Wednesday June 20th?
>
> (I didn't notice a meeting notice on calagator for either date .... )
>
> Best,
> Temese

I don't think there was a decision ... I'm guessing it stays on the
27th because the group has the room booked. In that case I'll probably
attend unless there's something happening that evening at Open Source
Bridge but I won't present. Embarrassment of riches, as the saying
goes.

Robert Brehm

Jun 18, 2012, 1:43:14 PM6/18/12
to pdx-...@googlegroups.com

I will be ready either way - the 27th is better for me as it will give me more time to put together a presentation as my paper is due tomorrow night at 7pm.

Having a BofF at OSB is a great idea - to promote  and grow the group.

Regards,  Bob