XOD files created from raster files shown with artifacts if used high resolution.

Андрей Коновалов

Apr 12, 2018, 12:59:53 PM4/12/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hello,
We faced with a problem. When viewing XOD files created from raster documents (JPG, TIFF) (or from PDFs created from raster files) they shown with artifacts (vertical and horizontal lines). It happens if we on conversion set DPI option rather high  - 300 and more. Attached pictures demonstrate the issue. Is there a way to resolve such problem?

Regards,
Andrey Konovalov.
MRE5590_1.png
MRE5590_2.png

Matt Parizeau

Apr 12, 2018, 8:08:10 PM4/12/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Andrey,

Would you be able to provide us with example files (before and after conversion) by attaching them here or emailing sup...@pdftron.com.

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

Андрей Коновалов

Apr 13, 2018, 1:58:03 PM4/13/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hello Matt,
I've sent PDF & XOD files via support e-mail (PDF file is 16M).
Important note: in Chrome such files shown almost without artifacts, in IE11 & Firefox - a lot of redundant lines are visible.
Regards,
Andrey Konovalov.

Ryan - PDFNet Developer

Apr 16, 2018, 5:26:09 PM4/16/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Thank you for the files, we have received them and are investigating.

Ryan - PDFNet Developer

Apr 17, 2018, 3:08:28 PM4/17/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
The "image" that you see is made up of 144 sub images, and there is not overlap of these images. The issue is that this leaves the rendering engine work to make sure that there are no thin line gaps between the images.

Most browsers handle this but not IE/Edge. Can your users switch to FireFox/Chrome/Safari?

Ideally this is resolved at the time of PDF generation, so that the images have an overlap of some pixels, or simply merge the image into one (compression works better that way anyway).

Another work around is to have PDFNet flatten the page so that it is just one image. I would not recommend as a general solution, but you could "repair" this one file for example.

Is this the only document you have encountered like this?
Who generated the file, you or one of your users?

Андрей Коновалов

Apr 19, 2018, 1:08:50 PM4/19/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Ryan,
As a matter of fact FireFox also not good with such files (almost the same view as in IE), Chrome almost correct, but also a few gap lines can be visible.
And we can't force our customers not to work with IE.
I tried to use option.SetFlattenContent(pdftron.PDF.Convert.FlattenFlag.e_simple); on converting PDF to XOD. For such raster documents it solves the problem, but mainly our customers use vector documents (like DWG), and for such documents "flattening" approach isn't good.
So, may be there is some other solution?
Regards,
Andrey Konovalov.

Андрей Коновалов

Apr 23, 2018, 12:53:23 PM4/23/18
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Ryan,
Working on this issue I found strange thing. When I convert PDF file to XOD using PDFNetDotNet4 then it doesn't matter what DPI setting I use, result will be identical. If I  convert PDF file to XOD using PDFNetC then result will be different for different DPI value. But it's file dependent. I have rather big jpg file (about 20000x15000), for it I get really different XOD files for different DPI, but at the same time for PDFs created from jpg from digital camera (about 4000x3000) at some value DPI (i.e. 300) resulting XOD files are identical. And XOD consists of many small images which shown with unexpected lines.
Regards,
Andrey Konovalov.