Webviewer - PDF file formats are not rendering in IE 10 and IE 11 browsers.

srinivasan Bose

May 9, 2016, 12:46:19 PM5/9/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi,

Iam currently using webviewer HTML 5 (v2.2.0) lib to render pdf in one of the project. It is working fine in chrome and firefox. File contents will be rendered from backend using java REST API call. File contents are rendered partially and recursive calls are initiated internally in webviewer lib to load entire content. I can see all the requests till the status is 200.

I can see the initialisation loader, toolbars and preloader before content loading in IE browsers. Once it is removed, content is not displayed. Anyone have faced this similar issue while integrating. Do i need to follow any specific steps to render pdf file in IE browser.

Same code is working fine in chrome and firefox.

I commpared the webviewer sample showcase link, where only xod files are seen in the gallery. I think XOD formats are working fine in IE browsers. I also tried by opening pdf files from local in showcase link. Same problem as mentioned above.

DO we need to load xod formats in IE?
Does webviewer do not support loading pdf files in IE?

Do i need to add or modify anything to render pdf files in IE?

Any help will be highly appreciated? Need some guidance to solve this issue.

Anatoly Kudrevatukh

May 9, 2016, 3:40:19 PM5/9/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hello,

WebViewer supports viewing PDFs in IE10 as well as IE11.

I do not see any problems while viewing PDFs at https://www.pdftron.com/webviewer/showcase/

To be able to investigate this further could you please attach

1. the PDF you are trying to view
2. a screenshot of the problem you see at https://www.pdftron.com/webviewer/showcase/
3. a screenshot of console log after the error has occurred at https://www.pdftron.com/webviewer/showcase/

Thank you

srinivasan Bose

Jun 20, 2016, 1:07:48 PM6/20/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi,

I tried with different packages of PDFTRON (webviewer, pdfnetjs), but still not able to load PDF documents in some PC's with IE 11 browsers. I can see the initialization screen and then preloader. After this blank screen is shown. Image or thumbnails are not loaded.

1. Iam trying to load webviewer sample link with "PDF" option.

2. I am attaching the screenshots for your reference. In this attachment i have covered the content  area with console logs and IE version details.

Any suggestion will help us greatly.

I have seen similar issue in below post

Thanks
Srini
IE_11_not_rendering.png

Matt Parizeau

Jun 21, 2016, 3:16:20 PM6/21/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Srini,

Unfortunately we're having trouble finding this version of IE11. If you know where we could find a VM with that version or there is some other way of accessing it then we could investigate further.

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

Tref Gare

Sep 19, 2016, 12:48:58 PM9/19/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
We are seeing this same problem across a sub range of IE11 versions.
(see separate issue: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pdfnet-webviewer/FK3wni6Hu9o)
So far it appears "most" versions of IE11 work OK for us, but a small subset fail in this way. The Viewer loads, the document appears to load, but no content is ever displayed, just a blank page frame.

So far the versions have included
11.0.9600.18426
11.0.9600.18439
11.0.9600.18376IS
11.0.9600.18230

Kristian Hein

Sep 20, 2016, 5:42:34 PM9/20/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hello. Do you know where we could access a vm that has one of those IE11 versions?

Thanks,
Kristian

Tref Gare

Sep 21, 2016, 1:01:27 PM9/21/16
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Kristian Hein

We don't have access to a VM but can do a screenshare session with one such affected browser.
Finding a convenient time between Canada and India might be interesting but we're keen to resolve this asap.

Let me know if that will help.  Alternatively any advice on how to create a VM image for a specific version of IE11?

Regards

Tref

Kristian Hein

Sep 22, 2016, 7:28:03 PM9/22/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Tref,

Unfortunately we will need to debug the code which might take some time. So, screensharing probably would not be too helpful.

I am not too familiar with making a VM for a specific IE version but maybe this will help you get started:
http://www.howtogeek.com/56158/beginner-how-to-create-a-virtual-machine-in-windows-7-using-virtual-pc/

-Kristian

On Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at 10:01:27 AM UTC-7, Tref Gare wrote:

We don't have access to a VM but can do a screenshare session with one such affected browser.
Finding a convenient time between Canada and India might be interesting but we're keen to resolve this asap.

Let me know if that will help.  Alternatively any advice on how to create a VM image for a specific version of IE11?

Regards

Tref

Tref Gare

Sep 23, 2016, 12:53:08 PM9/23/16
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Kristian Hein

We're perfectly willing to screenshare for hours if necessary. This bug has been outstanding for some time and we're very keen to see some traction.  If nothing else a screenshare will allow some initial triaging of the problem.

Kristian Hein

Sep 26, 2016, 5:06:49 PM9/26/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hey Tref,

Unfortunately we need to debug the unobfuscated code, which we don't release externally. If you are able to set up  a VM with the proper IE version, that would help us resolve the problem the quickest.

In the meantime, can you give us a little more information. What operating system are these IE11 versions running on? Can you reproduce issue without the console being open? IE performs much worse when the console is open.
Also, can you make sure the cache is cleared before trying to reproduce the problem.

Thanks,
Kristian

On Friday, September 23, 2016 at 9:53:08 AM UTC-7, Tref Gare wrote:

We're perfectly willing to screenshare for hours if necessary. This bug has been outstanding for some time and we're very keen to see some traction.  If nothing else a screenshare will allow some initial triaging of the problem.

Tref Gare

Sep 27, 2016, 12:34:51 PM9/27/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
We'll keep trying to get a VM up and running - we're having issues with our internal IT security being reluctant to clone the laptop in question due to the other material on it.

Meantime quick answers:
Yes it's observable without the console open.
It's been viewed in Windows 8.1 definitely - will try to confirm the other users' OS.
We've cleared cache numerous times (step #1 of general debugging)

Following screenshots illustrates what we're seeing - the user in this case has tried to select the content of the blank page which has resulted in the following interesting artifact. It appears that the content is there but just not quite rendering completely.

Tref Gare

Oct 5, 2016, 2:16:57 PM10/5/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
We've created a VM with an affected version of IE 11 installed - sending it through to PDFtron support today.

Tref

Srinivasan Chandrasekaran

Nov 10, 2017, 1:55:06 PM11/10/17
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Support Team,

Do we have any updates on the document rendering as blank in some versions of IE 11 and Edge?

We can still able to see the issue with the latest webviewer package of 3.0.1.

Regards
Srinivasan

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 11:46:57 PM UTC+5:30, Tref Gare wrote:
> We've created a VM with an affected version of IE 11 installed - sending it through to PDFtron support today.
>
> Tref
>
> On Tuesday, September 27, 2016 at 10:04:51 PM UTC+5:30, Tref Gare wrote:
> We'll keep trying to get a VM up and running - we're having issues with our internal IT security being reluctant to clone the laptop in question due to the other material on it.
>
> Meantime quick answers:
> Yes it's observable without the console open.
> It's been viewed in Windows 8.1 definitely - will try to confirm the other users' OS.
> We've cleared cache numerous times (step #1 of general debugging)
>

> Following screenshots illustrates what we're seeing - the user in this case has tried to select the content of the blank page which has resulted in the following interesting artifact. It appears that the content is there but just not quite rendering completely.

Tref Gare

Nov 14, 2017, 11:47:41 AM11/14/17
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Kristian Hein
Hi Srini,

This isn't a formal response, just an update on where we got to on this question.  It's still occurring for us and we've made no progress on a code level fix however we've had relatively good success in resolving it for the individuals affected by using one or all of the following.

* update to latest version of the browser
* update system graphic/display drivers
* switch off hardware rendering in IE

In almost all cases these manage to fix the issue for the individual systems affected... ideally PDFTron could find a global fix and avoid this kind of individualised tweakery but it's a workaround at least.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Tref

Message has been deleted