Accessibility mode

Chris Hine

Nov 1, 2016, 1:02:58 PM11/1/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hello PDFTron,

I'm curious about the accessibility of the WebViewer and have found this question and answer:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/pdfnet-webviewer/accessibility/pdfnet-webviewer/BeGJMrioUa0/CHqlI4Ce5MYJ

It's not especially clear, but it appears as though an alternate mode which is more accessible exists? I'm afraid the example/demo it points to appears to be broken. (?)

Can any of this be confirmed, denied, or clarified?

Thanks,
Chris

Matt Parizeau

Nov 2, 2016, 7:28:59 PM11/2/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Chris,

The demo is at this link http://www.pdftron.com/webviewer/demo/samples/accessible/index.html#d=../../GettingStarted.xod and is very simple, basically just about making the text accessible, since by default it's being rendered on a canvas and isn't accessible from the DOM at all.

So it's just showing how you can use the text APIs from WebViewer to make the text accessible. Depending on how you want to implement it maybe you would load the entire viewer like normal but in your custom code load the text for each page and add it to the DOM in a hidden element so that's it's still accessible by screen readers.

I hope this clarifies things, but let me know if you have any other questions.

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

Chris Hine

Nov 8, 2016, 8:27:25 PM11/8/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Matt,

Yes, I see now. What the sample was presenting was just, uh, more plain looking than I expected. But I see what it's doing now; we can use the text extraction function to produce a more accessible 'view' of the XOD.

Thanks,
Chris