Customziable UI / Disable Components

sbi

Apr 21, 2016, 5:23:52 PM4/21/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi guys,

we are currently modifying the mobile WebViewer (with a custom config) to fit our needs.
Some questions arose while doing this.

One of them is, if its posible to completely block/prevent the initialization of some components/views.
The specific point is, that we remove some of the default components of the viewer (mobile/desktop) and load our own implementation/data.

One example would be the bookmark view or in specific contexts the entire search functionality.

It would be really cool if there where more options to prevent different parts of the UI to be created to reduce loading/setup time of the viewer.

I looked into the code for the different ReaderControl.config.ui and all it seems to be doing is what we are doing too - hiding or removing the resulting DOM elements.

Thanks in advance,

Sascha

Anatoly Kudrevatukh

Apr 21, 2016, 5:55:42 PM4/21/16
to pdfnet-w...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sascha,

Hiding controls through DOM manipulation is the preferred method. The components you have mentioned consume minimal resources on initialization and preventing them from initialization is unlikely to increase rendering speed in a measurable way.

However if you are experiencing any issues with performance of the app, please send us modified samples or concrete steps to demonstrate a bottleneck. We are committed to improving WebViewer responsiveness.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

sbi

Apr 29, 2016, 12:05:05 PM4/29/16
to PDFTron WebViewer
Ok, then we will do it like we do it now.

One thing that i noticed while customizing the mobile UI is something that would really help with the desktop UI:
In the mobile UI I can access some of your selectors by calling for example readerControl.$viewer.
It would be really helpful if you could also expose some (or all) of the selectors used in the setup of the desktop UI.
This would make altering the UI from within the config.js a whole lot easier.

I will open specific posts for the other questions we have so others can find them if they have similar problems.