Range Requests

Gisa Jovanovic

Oct 13, 2015, 12:55:37 PM10/13/15
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Matt Parizeau
Hi Matt,

about year ago we have discussed about the issue we have related to range requests. To remind you, issue is that occasionally we have users report XOD document are not displaying in WebViewer. At the moment we have version 1.7.1 on the IIS and we have customization to save annotations on the server. Documents are large usually about 300-500 pages.

What we have discovered based on IIS logging is that occasionally IIS responds with 200 instead of 206 and as result streaming is set to true. That is not such a problem itself, but after that document usually does not display either it fails to download entirely - has 995 operation aborted in server logs or it downloads entirely but has error - "Uncaught Error: Wrong signature in local header". Attached is sample server log file with two samples, one is normal 206 and other is 200 and for which user reported document was not displayed.

We have tried to force 206 response by changing byteRangeCheck function to return 206 always but that did not help.

Is there any suggestion you can give us how to resolve the issue. For us good solution to ensure document is displayed, either by 'forcing' 206 response or to have 200 occasionally but without errors.

Best Regards and thank you in advance,
Marko

sample.server.log.xlsx

Matt Parizeau

Oct 13, 2015, 1:57:07 PM10/13/15
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi Marko,

Unfortunately it's hard to say what the problem is. By default WebViewer will fallback to streaming mode if it receives a 200 response and in all our testing we haven't seen it fail like this. Wrong signature in local header is an error from the StreamingPartRetriever which means the file data was possibly corrupt so maybe there is a problem when requesting the entire XOD file from your server.

Matt Parizeau
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

Gisa Jovanovic

Oct 15, 2015, 2:54:10 PM10/15/15
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Matt Parizeau

Hi Matt,

Yes this seems to be strange problem and we were not able to reproduce it either. I am thinking there might be issue with our hosting provider 1and1, but i can not tell for sure. Anyhow thank you for the response.

Best Regards
Marko