Cannot Enter Annotation Note or Comment Text on iPad

David Compton

May 31, 2017, 7:34:03 PM5/31/17
to PDFTron WebViewer
Our app is using the WebViewer in a Ionic 2 application.  On the iPad we are unable to enter text into the annotation Note or Comment boxes.  This affects Free Text annotations as well.  I found an earlier forum thread that indicated this was an issue with UIWebView and changing to WKWebView would resolve the issue.  I did this and it did resolve the issue.  But then I found that the viewer "window" was regularly just restarting itself - not the entire app just the webview itself.  I had read that there were instability issues with using WKWebView in Ionic/Cordova apps, therefore I had avoided it up until now.  Anyway I have had to switch back to UIWebView as we cannot live with the instability that it WKWebView seems to be causing.  How else an I resolve this issue while still using UIWebView?  I need a stable application that also allows users to enter text for annotations.

Kind regards,

David

Volker Andres

Jun 1, 2017, 11:57:44 AM6/1/17
to PDFTron WebViewer
Hi, we are experiencing the same problem for Annotation Note/Comment and the "go to page dialog".

iPad Pro 10.3.3, Cordova + UIWebView

Justin Jung

Jun 2, 2017, 1:59:43 AM6/2/17
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Volker Andres
Hello,

You should be able to resolve the issue with UIWebView by disabling fastclick, as described in this post: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/pdfnet-webviewer/MYFama_6pGo/kZgKjRQfCwAJ

Justin Jung
Software Developer
PDFTron Systems Inc.

David Compton

Jun 6, 2017, 10:21:08 PM6/6/17
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of Justin Jung
Hi Justin,

Yes, disabling fastclick does seem to fix the problem, however that is not an acceptable solution.  Part of the reason for deciding to go with a hybrid Ionic app was that the click delay could be overcome.  We really need a better solution than this that allows both removing the delay and entering text for annotations.   I noticed that the link you gave me had a link to https://github.com/ftlabs/fastclick/issues/474.  There seems to be a patch here that was said to fix the problem.  I tried implementing the patches changes but that then broke other things.  Maybe with your internal knowledge of web viewer you could use the idea in the patch to fix the problem for WebViewer.

Kind regards,

David

Justin Jung

Jun 7, 2017, 4:38:26 PM6/7/17
to PDFTron WebViewer on behalf of David Compton
Unfortunately, we've already spent time investigating to work around the issue without success.
Are you able to allow the mobile redirect to avoid using iframe?