Converting RTF to PDF via PDFTron Printer

Support

Oct 27, 2011, 3:18:56 PM10/27/11
to pdfne...@googlegroups.com
Q:  We are searching for a replacement of the current virtual printer system we are using for RTF conversion (among other things).

I’ve been experimenting with your product and it looks promising, but I have a question.

From what I understand in your documentation, I don’t have the PDFNet printer. The sample application keeps asking for DLLs and such based around the XPS driver from what it seems.

Files needed

  The file ''UNIDRV.DLL' on Windows Installation Disc is needed. ...

I’ve looked over the net and cannot find how to solve this issue.

You can convert from RTF to PDF using PDFNet using Office interop or Virtual print driver.

Both methods go through 'pdftron.PDF.Convert.ToPDF' as shown in Convert sample:

  http://www.pdftron.com/pdfnet/samplecode.html#Convert

If Office 2007 SP2 (or higher) is present, PDFNet will try to import RTF/DOC/DOCX etc directly from Office. This produces optimal results and is also suitable for server side use.

If Office is not present, PDFNet will attempt to ‘print’ the file through the application associated with the file extension (for RTF this is typically WordPad).

Based on your error it seems that you do not have Office and are using conversion via Virtual print driver.

In this case you need to make sure you are using the correct version of the PDFNet library against your target platform. If you are running a 64-bit operating system, you will need to use the 64-bit version of PDFNet (http://www.pdftron.com/downloads/PDFNet64.zip or http://www.pdftron.com/downloads/PDFNet64DotNet4.zip). Likewise, for 32-bit operating systems, the 32-bit version of PDFNet has to be used (http://www.pdftron.com/downloads/PDFNet.zip or http://www.pdftron.com/downloads/PDFNetDotNet4.zip).

Now this is only important for driver installation (i.e. pdftron.PDF.Convert.Printer.Install), so technically your main application can still use x86 version of PDFNet. To simplify installation and this use case (where platform and PDFNet DLL do not match) we have created a MSI driver installer which is only 300KB in size: http://www.pdftron.com/downloads/pdfnetDrivers.zip .